H-M Lifetime Diamond Member

Attachments

• PXL_20210802_203806471.jpg
    PXL_20210802_203806471.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20210802_203758045.jpg
    PXL_20210802_203758045.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 35
Hi, thanks for the bump! I DO still have this, though there is a bit of surface corrosion on it now from a winter in the shop, and the WD40 spray must not have made it to it.

I know you are not really wanting to ship but if you were willing, I'd be willing to cover the shipping cost and I have a R8 Sumitomo Surface Mill with extra inserts I only ended up using once I would trade. It is used but in good shape and I have pics.

I know you are not really wanting to ship but if you were willing, I'd be willing to cover the shipping cost and I have a R8 Sumitomo Surface Mill with extra inserts I only ended up using once I would trade. It is used but in good shape and I have pics.
I'll take a look and see if this is something I could box up. Also, I suspect shipping would be quite expensive! Its heavy enough USPS won't take it, and Fedex's estimate on their website is something stupid like $180?! UPS's estimator is not working at the moment, so i can't tell if thats better.

Take a quick look at USPS Priority Mail, Large Box rates. Priority mail will take up to 70lbs. at a flat rate. So long as the vise fits in the box and makes weight, you are good to go. You obviously should allow for extra foam packing or cardboard padding to keep the vise from shifting around.

Take a quick look at USPS Priority Mail, Large Box rates. Priority mail will take up to 70lbs. at a flat rate. So long as the vise fits in the box and makes weight, you are good to go. You obviously should allow for extra foam packing or cardboard padding to keep the vise from shifting around.
Oh my, that is expensive. I appreciate you checking. I was hoping it could be done around $80ish but have not tried shipping anything that heavy so I have no idea. We do have starship here that will rate quote USPS, Fed-Ex and UPS if I have the address, weight and size of box but I think you can just wrap cardboard around it and tape up call it a box lol. I am happy to look it up if you want to email or pm me info and I can also send over pics if wanted.

Based on a search of other similar vices (like the amazon ship weight?) it looks like it is going to be about 85-90 lbs? So I think thats what kills it. PM lists a similar setup as 88 lbs: https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/vise-6in-highprec/

Based on a search of other similar vices (like the amazon ship weight?) it looks like it is going to be about 85-90 lbs? So I think thats what kills it. PM lists a similar setup as 88 lbs: https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/vise-6in-highprec/
I plugged in that weight in Starship from my place to a hotel there and USPS would not do it but FedEx and ups were both over $120. That bites. By the time you make a box for it and have to lug that beast down to one I don't see it being very logistical. I did not know they were that heavy. I have a 4 inch on mine but need one for my mini mill I plan on using as a dedicated drill press so was kicking around putting the 4" on it and getting a 6" for the medium one.

Back