Suspension- to all of you who build cars/go-karts/buggys etc

Thanks I actually only registered to help answer the suspension question. I literally haven't had to work with suspensions but I have a tiny bit of basic welding down. Unless you guys want to know the reason why and how to fix Honda automatic transmissions that failed from 1999 to 2006+ I actually have no clue how to use a metal lathe, or if you guys need help with body work or spraying 2k car paint or Photoshop , I'm pretty much useless here
Thank you for joining and contributing!

I know this is an extremely old thread, but since it wasn't really answered directly I'll try it. what you made is fairly simple. you don't really need to overthink it. the shocks you want can probably be easily and cheapily gotten on a gocart site or ebay. get a cheap one, if it is too stiff or too weak than get a different one and just test them out by jumping on it. for example look at this video
at 21:59 he literally just jumps on it to test the suspension. it's not rocket science, there is no need to overthink it. be prepared to only tack weld it enough to test it and be prepared to make mistakes , the end result does not need to be perfect, the more perfect you try to make it the longer it will take, 4 years seems like a really long time for how small of a scale this project seems to be. the channel " Creative Channel" has 5.5 million subs, go through their videos and you will see a bunch of ideas to help you, do not copy his techniques though, for example this guy is in a 3rd world country, he is welding galvanized steel, this will kill you, it's well known. also he uses very thin flimsy metal for all his projects so unless weight is a problem I would go up a size. also I've seen it where the fabricator drills 3 different holes in a row so they can adjust the shock distance to stiffen or soften the shock. I have basic body work and 2k paint spraying knowledge so I know that bondo and some 2k primer will easily hide any mistake you will make.

I am glad you revived the thread... I have this old VW Bug front fender... and a 9HP B&S engine from a pressure washer that had a bad pump (cheaper to buy a new machine than to get a replacement pump)...

I have been meaning to make a mini-bike with those...

One of my fenders (I need to get another one... ). This is the one I installed... the one I removed is the one I will be using, but looks just like this one, only in worse condition... so perfect for this project. Just need to get the other side...
Fender-1.jpeg

What a completed one would look like once the two fenders are modified and welded together...

VW Mini Bike Build-7.jpeg

The engine that I have...

9HP B&S Engine-1.jpeg

9HP B&S Engine-2.jpeg

I know it will require the other fender, make the two into one... but I want to see if I can get to something that looks close to this:

VW Mini Bike Build-1.jpeg

Good excuse to get a pipe bender and practice welding skills... The frame needs to look something like this:

VW Mini Bike Build-17.jpeg

And now that I have the milling machine and the small lathe, I can be more dangerous trying to make parts, buuuajajajajjajaa...

Very nice dude. It looks to me they made the back fenders smaller and tapered before they welded it and had to beat it like crazy to get that smooth shape. I'm not experienced in fender shaping but my guess is they used a rounded anvil or something to shape that. The rest is just bondo and than primer.

Looks like it's gonna be real nice. 9 HP is a good size. If I was gonna try it I would put in a shock because you'll go fast with 9hp and I'd make it 3 wheels but it'd probably not be as much fun to you. The front looks like a bicycle dual shock would work and the back looks like you could make it hinged to put in a monoshock, but maybe more work for you but it'd eat up those bumps. Or at least a really thick seat. Actually dude I'd try to make it a 250cc ninja motor in it but I'm stupid, plus I'd be a waste of your engine.

If it was cheap to send out your frame and fender to me I'd do the body and paintwork for you, I doubt it. At the very least I can tell you what products to use and what steps to do for the body work.

I am glad you revived the thread... I have this old VW Bug front fender... and a 9HP B&S engine from a pressure washer that had a bad pump (cheaper to buy a new machine than to get a replacement pump)...

One of my fenders (I need to get another one... ). This is the one I installed... the one I removed is the one I will be using, but looks just like this one, only in worse condition... so perfect for this project. Just need to get the other side...
View attachment 384974

What a completed one would look like once the two fenders are modified and welded together...

View attachment 384979

View attachment 384975

View attachment 384976

I know it will require the other fender, make the two into one... but I want to see if I can get to something that looks close to this:

View attachment 384977

Good excuse to get a pipe bender and practice welding skills... The frame needs to look something like this:

View attachment 384980

And now that I have the milling machine and the small lathe, I can be more dangerous trying to make parts, buuuajajajajjajaa...
This is fant

View attachment 384974

View attachment 384979

View attachment 384975

View attachment 384976

View attachment 384977

View attachment 384980

this is fantastic! Really creative and cool.

Ok here's a listing of fenders for sale, I deleted what I said before I think you're right they just combine the two front fenders it should be a real easy splice job

Back