Surprise Super Find

songbird

Active User
Registered
I am a retired carpenter, who has got bit by the hobby machinist world. In the process of looking for a lathe, I started buying up old machines, cleaning the up, repairing what I could, painting and then selling, making a little profit, then buying up more machines. I thought I would back off for a while, as I found it was hard to part with these machines once they were up and running. I currently have a 9" southbend 9a, a 10" Wards/Logan, a 12" Craftsman Commercial (cabinet model) and a 12" Clausing 5914. I received a call through a friend, from a woman who had just lost her husband and wanted to know if I would be interested in an old southbend lathe. The price was right, ($250), so I told her I would take it sight unseen. I went over today to pick it up with my son, expecting a 9a, but it turned out to be a 13"! I am quite happy, but now trying to tear it down for transport is challenging. I removed the tailstock, carriage and gear box and motor. I'm considering removing the headstock, but hate the thought of cutting the one piece flat drive belt. Anyone have any suggestions, I certainly do not wish to remove the spindle. Would a person just replace the belt with the new flat belt sold on eBay? Thanks in advance for any comments, Jim.

There are several options for new belts, just cut the belt, remove the headstock and deal with the belt later. Congrats on the 13, I want one myself.

Surprises like that are most welcome. I should extend my welcome to you, too, welcome to the best hobby machinist forum around.

With it torn down as far as you have it I think it would be manageable as is. What are you planning on moving it with? If you have a trailer and a winch or come-along it shouldn't be that difficult. There are several threads on here dealing with moving machines and the many options available. Welcome to the site and good luck with the move and refurbishing. Mike

With it torn down as far as you have it I think it would be manageable as is. What are you planning on moving it with? If you have a trailer and a winch or come-along it shouldn't be that difficult. There are several threads on here dealing with moving machines and the many options available. Welcome to the site and good luck with the move and refurbishing. Mike
Thanks Mike. I have a truck, but because of the height of the truck bed, I might be looking at a trailer and ofcorse a come a long. With the head stock removed, I don't think it will be nearly as top heavy.

I wouldn't remove anything....at that price it would be a good investment to rent the right equipment or pay someone to get it home.

Well, I finally got the 13" south bend home, but now have some questions;
Does anybody know what the spindle taper is for this large spindle hole, (my 4 1/2" mt passes into it)?
Does anybody know where to get a spindle adaptor for a mt 3 or one that will accept 5c collets?
I know this has been asked before, but the replys refer to websites that appear to have been shut down. Thanks, Jim.

Remember the old Wendy's commercial?"Where's the beef" well I have to ask"Where's the pics" Something like that,that probably been preserve by the previous owner is kinda like a time capsule.Maybe it is,maybe its not but if possible and time permits please do post pics.Congrats on a fantastic find---kroll

Well, I finally got the 13" south bend home, but now have some questions;
Does anybody know what the spindle taper is for this large spindle hole, (my 4 1/2" mt passes into it)?
Does anybody know where to get a spindle adaptor for a mt 3 or one that will accept 5c collets?
I know this has been asked before, but the replys refer to websites that appear to have been shut down. Thanks, Jim.
Look on ebay for the collet adapter and thread protector, you will also need a drawbar to close the collets. Sometimes you have to be patient to find these items, it took me awhile to find them for my 10L. I can't remember what the spindle taper is but I think it is a proprietary taper that south bend used.
I'm sure one of the guys her will know what it is and chime in.

Remember the old Wendy's commercial?"Where's the beef" well I have to ask"Where's the pics" Something like that,that probably been preserve by the previous owner is kinda like a time capsule.Maybe it is,maybe its not but if possible and time permits please do post pics.Congrats on a fantastic find---kroll
Thanks Kroll!

Back