Surprise Super Find

Look on ebay for the collet adapter and thread protector, you will also need a drawbar to close the collets. Sometimes you have to be patient to find these items, it took me awhile to find them for my 10L. I can't remember what the spindle taper is but I think it is a proprietary taper that south bend used.
I'm sure one of the guys her will know what it is and chime in.
Thanks, I will cont. looking.

In the process of looking for a lathe, I started buying up old machines, cleaning the up, repairing what I could, painting and then selling, making a little profit, then buying up more machines. I thought I would back off for a while, as I found it was hard to part with these machines once they were up and running. I currently have a 9" southbend 9a, a 10" Wards/Logan, a 12" Craftsman Commercial (cabinet model) and a 12" Clausing 5914. I received a call through a friend, from a woman who had just lost her husband and wanted to know if I would be interested in an old southbend lathe. The price was right, ($250), so I told her I would take it sight unseen.

Only 5 lathes?
:)

I have to stop buying lathes because of health issues, (if I bring another lathe home my wife will kill me!).
Small problem with 13" South Bend. In the process of tearing down and cleaning this lathe, I am having trouble removing the screw in saddle holding the apron. I've tried using a ton of penetrating oil along with a "hammer" type of impact. I'm afraid of using heat, but may not have any choice. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance, Jim.

Hi, I just ran into the same problem with a 16" SB I just picked up for nothing. I ended up using a 1/2-Drive Drag Link Driver. Just ground slightly to fit and tapped it in.With a half inch drive ratchet and slow pressure they came right out.

Maybe try one of those 1/2 drive allen screw sockets with an impact set to light pressure.Slowly increase the air pressure just a little.The hammering of the impact may loosen the screws without breaking the heads off,but take care doing so.----kroll
If I may add,for problems like this I like this product which it really works.Its as thin as WD so it will soak into the threads if its able to get to them.So if there is paint in the way then it can't get to the threads.I will soak it down all day long,let it seat over night then give it a try next day.
eea2cbbe-7125-4598-ad74-0e14c5928a8c_1.838bffdd06f4789e72108eb13f4c64af.jpe

Last edited:
Hi, I just ran into the same problem with a 16" SB I just picked up for nothing. I ended up using a 1/2-Drive Drag Link Driver. Just ground slightly to fit and tapped it in.With a half inch drive ratchet and slow pressure they came right out.
Sounds like it's worth a try, Thanks.

Oil will not help but impact will.

Do not mickey mouse it.

If yiu already have used the hammer type impact you have the bit so now use pneumatic but...

Do not go full throttle as it may not be needed.

Turn Ari down to 40 to 50 psi and lean heavy on it to insure bit is firmly in the screw and let the driver work on it.

It will just sing for a bit then start to move.

Give it time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Maybe try one of those 1/2 drive allen screw sockets with an impact set to light pressure.Slowly increase the air pressure just a little.The hammering of the impact may loosen the screws without breaking the heads off,but take care doing so.----kroll
If I may add,for problems like this I like this product which it really works.Its as thin as WD so it will soak into the threads if its able to get to them.So if there is paint in the way then it can't get to the threads.I will soak it down all day long,let it seat over night then give it a try next day.
eea2cbbe-7125-4598-ad74-0e14c5928a8c_1.838bffdd06f4789e72108eb13f4c64af.jpe
I don't know what the Allen head screw socket looks like, if it works on a straight slot screw head. Can you send a pic? I have tried soaking the screw heads for several days with "break free", but no luck. Thanks, Jim.

I tried all the same things you did, including heat and the impact screwdriver. If you have'nt screwed up the heads to badly, I promise it will work.
Buggsy

Back