Surface Plate & Gage Blocks

I have a cast iron surface plate/marking table and a height gauge that I use a lot. I have made quite a few tools and projects as in Harold Hall project books. It makes it so much easier to mark out the project accurately and saves a lot of time. The gage blocks I don't have and never had a reason to acquire them.

You are off to a good start. Gage blocks and a height gage are a great pair I used many times. Your surface plate is cast iron if I read the post correctly.

A simple test for flatness is to use a straight edge or steel rule that is long enough to reach corner to corner and a set of feeler gages. Start with the thinness gage and try to push it between the straight edge and surface of plate. If it can't go between the two then you are off to a good start. If there is a gap might consider having the surface plate re-ground.

I seem layout plates that looked more like anvils due over hammering.

I have a 12 x 18 surface plate I got for free when I working at a place. It was time to get the surface plates resurfaced but the owner only wanted half of them done. When I asked what to do with the others he said he didn't care what I did with them. So when the resurfacer came to do the plates we picked the larger ones to do and I gave him the 12 x 18 along with them. Told him it was for me so he could charge me separate. When done he told me to forget about paying him separate. So I got mine for free. I already had a set of the rectangular gage blocks that I got free from another boss. Life was good when I was working.

Well, 30% off day at Enco a couple days ago was a good excuse to pick up a set of import gage blocks.

I now have one along with a 12" height gauge. A cylinder square, A gage block set and an angle plate are on their way. I got my mill one year ago and I intend to do a lot of custom work on my firearms. ( an extensive collection) for several of the things I wish to do, I know I will find the surface table convenient at the very least. I am blessed with a mill that has a 11" x 54" table so the surface plate is not essential for the firearm work. However, I would like to learn scraping so I can clean up angle plates, re do the saddle ways on my lathe, and I will afford me to be able to check spindles and such. So it will be very useful in the future for me.

Yes, what Bob Korves wrote. Having a good, known reference point, that is flat, is a good idea.
I'm buying the small Starrett toolmakers flat. Just enough for what I do. I recently purchased a very nice Mit 10" dial HG.
Very tedious to use when many scribe lines on a part have to be made. Now I want a digital 12" Mitutoyo. Yes, I'm getting sucked into that black hole called tool obsession. :)
Actually, I'm all in, clinging to the rim of that black hole with white knuckles screaming for help.

I have to say for any precision work, grinding or not...the surface plate has been my go to for measuring. The height gauge is quick and easy to accurately measure something once it's out of the vise or machine. Easiest to get repeatable results.

In the arena of precision surface grinding is where I've found a good surface plate and gage blocks to be most useful, and mostly indispensable when doing that type of work. I recently spent several years making precision gages and CMM fixtures for a tier 1 automotive injection molder and learned to uses these tools to accuracy about as far as I believe one can go using mechanical methods. We regularly worked in tolerances down around +/- .00005" and these tools are the only method I've ever seen for consistently producing results at that level.

All of our surface plates were Starrett black granite and were professionally checked/calibrated every six months. We had a few pink ones floating around, but they were individually owned, usually in smaller sizes and riding on someone's toolbox for use during machining. The laboratory-grade plates we used were flat within .000035" across a 30" diagonal plate (or smaller) according to Starrett. The calibration service we used claimed the plates were resurfaced to at least factory specs and usually just a little better. Of course, all the tools I'm mentioning here were used in a very clean environment that was kept at 72°F year round. It was important to never directly touch any of these tools, as your body temperature would be transferred into the tools and cause them to grow ever so slightly. No resting of the forearms on the surface plates, no breathing directly onto the tools when doing close work, gage blocks handled with large tweezers, etc.

In practice, we would be given a gage component that most typically needed some part of it (either a physical feature or its location on a gage plate) altered. We built these gages internally according to a CAD model provided by the manufacturer, but most finished gages would require some fine tuning after being checked against the model used for CMM verification. I always wondered why we couldn't use the CMM model to design the gage in the first plate, but I'm not a CAD guy and never could get a straight and coherent answer from anyone as to why it was done this way. Anyway, let's say a step machined into a block needed to be moved down .0004" (Z axis) and over .00125" (X axis). First, I would clean my surface plate with surface plate cleaner (no mineral spirits, acetone, Windex, etc.) and the part with acetone. I would go through the motions of "wringing" the part to surface plate. Although the surface finish wouldn't allow the actual wringing to occur, this usually provided the best contact between part and plate. Calibrated carbide gage blocks were built up to match a control surface, such as the top of the part, and the current height of the feature I was measuring and these heights were verified using either a .00005" or .00002" dial indicator mounted on my heavy Starrett surface gage (p/n 57D, I believe). Once these heights were verified to my satisfaction, I could re-stack the gage blocks (for the surface I was moving) to the desired finished dimension and proceed with grinding.

After grinding, the part was cleaned and again wrung to the surface plate. After verifying my control surface and corresponding gage block stack co-witnessed, I could check the newly-ground surfaces against their corresponding gage block stacks and say definitively that, in this example, the surfaces were moved precisely .0004" down and .00125" over. This info was documented along with the control numbers of the tools used to verify, and sent to the quality assurance lab for final verification and return to service.

In addition to all these precision calibrated carbide gage blocks (in the neighborhood of $8-9000 USD a set!), many shops use master height gages, such as the Mitutoyo 515. Good, used examples can be bought all day for less than $1000. Combined with a really good surface plate, you can get pretty deep into serious dimensional accuracy for a minimal outlay of cash. Naturally, cheaper plates and gage blocks won't offer extreme accuracy unless they're properly reworked and calibrated, but they will provide you a way to do more precise work than what can be turned out using more common methods. I would have a difficult time getting by without mine, but then I've been using them for quite a few years.

Back