Surface Plate & Gage Blocks

I picked up a 12 x 18 granite surface plate, Starrett 18" vernier height gauge and a shop grade set of gauge blocks from a shop sale around 30 years ago for under $100. I've used the height gauge once or twice along with the surface plate. I've used the gauge blocks to check 1-2 and 2-3 mics until I picked up some standards.

If I had it to do all over again I'd still buy them, but not an essential for what I do.

Bruce

I too often think about & have visions of surface plates floating in my head. Oh the thoughts of if I only had one... But in reality I have little use for one that I can't find another way around.

Gauge blocks I actually have a project that I believe them & a sine bar would be the key but other things need that cash ATM so that project keeps getting pushed back.

I use my surface plate and height gauge very often, it's the fastest way I have to do layout on work, check work and take off dimensions from parts. Gauge blocks not so much but they do come in handy for checking the accuracy of measuring tools. Need depends on what kinds of work you want to do, what tolerances you will want to achieve and what tools/machines you have?

Gauge blocks - yes.
They are invaluable. Use them for setting depth stops, spacing stuff away from a hard stop on the mill, etc.
They are consumable items, and get a ton of mileage around the shop.

I use my surface plate a lot. Your mileage will vary on what you do.
If you don't find yourself wishing for one, yo probably don't need one.

Inspection and setup instruments are a absolute essential in the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Korves is my new best friend and hero!

Bravo.

Reading these posts reminds me that I have evolved from a hammer, chisel, hacksaw and file to where I am now and perhaps that is why I cannot live without my busted piece of a granite countertop and Enco (or worse) height gauge.

I do still lust for a set of gage blox. OTOH, I hope to never have to live without 1-2-3 and 2-4-6 blocks which I use for everything from layout to small tubing Bender (need a hypodermic needle to oil something difficult to access?).

once you have a mill you will want a granite/cast plate and some measuring equipment to go with it

All,

How essential is a surface plate in a beginner's shop? Is it something I can wait on, or is it something that I should have immediately?

Same question goes for gage blocks.
abrace, I will put this as gentlemanly as possible for the benefit of the forum rules... investing in a surface plate and or gage blocks is very much like using toilet paper... once you do, you'll never go back to corn cobs!
In other words you're always on target, and that is what all these great guys are suggesting! YES, there may be many other tooling you may need to invest in, but for {sines} and inspection/layout, nothing beats a (decent) surface plate, granite block, or Rock...what ever you call it, be it grade B or grade 2! It all depends on what you're attempting to achieve.
just experience talking!
toolroom

Back