Surface Grinder Inspection for Purchase

The Delta Toolmaker is more of an entry level surface/tool grinder. It was intended as more of a universal grinder for repair or job shops rather than production shops. As such it doesn't have some of the features of a dedicated surface grinder. However, it can grind a number of different tools depending on the accessories you purchase with it. They are a bit more time consuming to setup than a standard surface grinder, and not quite as rigid. Once you become familiar with them you can certainly produce quality work.

It was high on my list before I purchased a Sanford MG. I was a little too late on half a dozen of them that had a considerable selection of accessory tooling. Around here they don't last more than a day or two on Craigslist or Facebook Market place. I held out over 2 years looking for one before deciding to purchase the Sanford. I'm happy with the Sanford as far as ease of operation and accuracy are concerned. While it's flood coolant capable 90+% of the work I do is either dry or with mist coolant.

My floor standing drill press had a rusty column, and the prior user just ran the table up and down without notice or concern. Even if you could perfectly restore the column away from rust, there is still the manner that the column grip area is now lemon shaped, as the two half circle have accommodated by abrasion a different diameter. Tighten the bolts all you wish and still the table wiggles.

Those higher end surface grinder with a dovetail or better a box constriction column, concealed in sliding sheet metal protectors and an oil drip feed are head and heels above an exposed round column machine. New vs new back in the day, the price point was a strong argument to get a round column machine. Now that the used market has these machines near par price wise, it would be an easy decision for me to go for the Do-all and tune it up for precision grinding.
So again, I have one. NO it's not a problem. That rust is superficial. The column tightens perfectly well.
This is not a drill press, it's much beefier, and it's solid by comparison, not a light weight column.

Back