Super Modified Straight Axle

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
hobby machinist's

things are starting to come into focus here!:)

early Chevy spindles that take later rotors and calipers.

Speedway includes some bearing race or something

so you can put on common later rotor.

darn Chevy spindles look like sprint car spindles!

will post pic's later.

have a nice day!

GM rotors and spindles ar pretty much an easy exchange. You can set up multi-piston, single and double piston calipers with a few different diameters just by changing the bearing set in the rotor. GM mid sized Caprice, and X Body cars were great for that. Good luck amd have some fun too.
Bob

bob

just to back up a little,

when i say straight axle, i mean it, no drop.

in a sprint car or super modified your

bottom frame tubes are at your ground clearance

then the front axle and rear drive axle are

'up in' the frame.

have a nice day!

1949-1954 Chevy Straight Axle.jpg

The spindles on that page say they work with mustang rotors, and assuming the calipers couldbe what ever you want. Providing you are willing to make the mounts for them.

Maybe Im wrong, but is that the earlyer mustang II components? I suppose it depends on the price for after market binders. Is unsprung weight, and rotational weight a concern to you? Usually if you can use lighter rotational items like rotors with light weight hubs, it will eat up less HP, and help performance.

Edit;
Ok, I re-read your post.
Your not concerned with a little extra weight.

paul

i'll stay GM rotors, because that comes into play

with the GM calipers.

this is from spindle description AFTER mustang II, 'plus many other later GM's'.

it gets a little sticky with the calipers and rotors

because you can only use certain thicknesses and

diameters together.

have a nice day!

paul

here's the rotors and calipers.

what's missing is confirmation the rotors will fit and

the mounting bracket.

oval track racers are weight conscience because

the engine size and modifications are limited.

i can go up and up in horsepower.

have a nice day!

1973-77 GM Rotor.jpg 1969-1977 GM Caliper.jpg

RCB

Looks to me as the rotors are mustang II style. We used to use them alot on the drag cars as a low buck way around the JFZ/ Willwood Brake kits.

The braket kits are very typical really. Most of the brackets we used on the drag cars were 1/4 to 3/8 thick aluminum with pressed in threaded inserts.

Over the yrs, many customers had brought in many different rotor/ caliper combo,s . Usually looking to cut weight as much as possible, and yet still have enough to do the job. Its allways good to lighten rotational wt. We spend alot of time working for HP gains and HP sometimes isnt easy to come by.

For the 1/4 mile machines, a reduction of 100 lbs of sprung wt would be worth a 10th of a second. But, a reduction of 10 lbs rotational wt was worth exactly the same.

Those rotors, if the same mustang II, were available in 4 1/2 or 4 3/4 bolt circle to fit the Ford/Dodge wheels, or the GM wheels.

You could allways look at aluminum calipers for some wt reduction as well. Even if the rotors thickness doesnt match up perfectly, a spacer for the pad can be fabbed quite easly. A good source to look at different calipers is a small rebuild shop.
I used to have such a shop across the lane from me, and they didnt mind me just lookin at the cores they had. Can give you a few options you never knew you had.

8ntsane

i'm catching up to you there!

yes, i'll put the combo Mustang II rotor/ GM caliper kit up next.

meanwhile, there's trouble with this all GM version.

note in the full kit says it doesn't work very good

with a straight axle!:(

have a nice day!

Back