Summit 1440B

There is very little information to be found on Eastern block ( I know old term ) machines. I'm more familiar with woodworking machines but those machines were among the heaviest and best made I've ever seen. Not terribly pretty or stylish but equal to Martin, Kolle, and Bauerle in the woodworking industry. Dave

There is very little information to be found on Eastern block ( I know old term ) machines. I'm more familiar with woodworking machines but those machines were among the heaviest and best made I've ever seen. Not terribly pretty or stylish but equal to Martin, Kolle, and Bauerle in the woodworking industry. Dave
I found very little info on Eastern Euro machines as well Dave. I would venture to say this is one of the heavier engine lathes in its size class. About the only ones heavier, are those that have a cast base, like a Whacheon, More-Seiki, etc. It's a very stoutly made, rigid, and precisely made machine. More than happy with it!

I know the woodworking machines of that origin went from cast iron to 20mm steel in the base. Now you are lucky to find 6mm. Dave

I know the woodworking machines of that origin went from cast iron to 20mm steel in the base. Now you are lucky to find 6mm. Dave
The plate in the base of this one, is a little over 8mm.

It just clicked that that is the lathe that was for sale on PM. That was a sweet machine and IMO is worth the price. Hard to duplicate that build today. Lots of stuff came with it too. Well done. Dave

It just clicked that that is the lathe that was for sale on PM. That was a sweet machine and IMO is worth the price. Hard to duplicate that build today. Lots of stuff came with it too. Well done. Dave
Good eye Dave, it is indeed that lathe! The gentleman I bought it from, was the original owner, and an awesome guy. Incredibly helpful throughout the whole process. I would love to meet him some day, and see his truly incredible shop.

Back