Summit 1440B

akjeff

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just getting to know a new(to me) circa 1999 Summit 1440B lathe. No subform for Summit, Lion, ZMM, or other Eastern Euro machines so "various" it is!

This Bulgarian made lathe is no longer imported by Summit in the US. The currently offered Summit 1440 is made in Taiwan, and weighs 1000 pounds less than this series. It's a beefy machine, and very well made. Separate forward and reverse clutches, motor driven rapid on both the carriage and cross. A zillion different inch and metric thread pitches, and a healthy 2-1/4" bore D1-6 spindle. 18 speeds, and a 2000 rpm max.

After adjusting the six leveling feet, took a test cut on an unsupported aluminum bar. The collars are about 6" apart, and the end is about 8" from the chuck. Could not measure a difference between them using my Mit digital caliper, so I passed them under a DTI on the surface plate, and the collar on the free end of the bar was three tenths larger than the chuck end. Pretty happy with that. At least some of that had to be bar deflection, as it was pretty skinny for that much stickout. The machine seems to have weathered the 3700 mile trip from its former home in OK just fine.

Look forward to making chips with it, but have a lot of bells and whistles to get used to, compared to my old Craftsman!

IMG_9147.JPG
IMG_9202.JPG

I ran your lathes bigger brother for several years in a professional shop. They are excellent machines....you are going to love it.

That lathe is in amazing condition for that age.
Just checked, they still import the Bulgarian version of mine.
Bought it in 2007, been a great machine.
3 inch spindle bor D1-8 mount, 20 speeds 20 -2000 rpm 6400 pounds.
IMG_1688.jpg

Greg

I ran your lathes bigger brother for several years in a professional shop. They are excellent machines....you are going to love it.
Good to hear. I bought this one from the original owner, north of Tulsa.

That lathe is in amazing condition for that age.
Just checked, they still import the Bulgarian version of mine.
Bought it in 2007, been a great machine.
3 inch spindle bor D1-8 mount, 20 speeds 20 -2000 rpm 6400 pounds.
View attachment 386120

Greg
That's a beast! Yes, they still offer the Bulgarian made lathes from 16" on up. Don't think they could compete with the price of Chinese/Taiwan made lathes in the home sized lathes. Got lucky finding this one owner, and darn near like new condition machine.

One of the interesting things is the gage for setting up multi start threads. It's inside the change gear end shield over the spindle. I used it to cut a three start thread on the bowl lift screw of a commercial food mixer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 12.42.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 12.42.18 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
One of the interesting things is the gage for setting up multi start threads. It's inside the change gear end shield over the spindle. I used it to cut a three start thread on the bowl lift screw of a commercial food mixer.
Pretty cool! They really are a full featured machine. My 14" has a gage on the spindle as well. I really like the joystick control for the cross and carriage feeds, and man the rapid travers really moves! Have to be careful with that.

IMG_9205.jpeg

Last edited:
Back