Suggestions For Old Block Grinder

Hi Susan,

That looks like a great size and well made surface grinder. I hope you can get it back into operation.

It looks like fairly minor damage considering what could have broken, depending on how that "dropped" grinder landed.
Since all the damage is at the top end close to the spindle, have you checked for a bent spindle?
You could remove the wheel, and drive belt, put an indicator on the spindle and turn it by hand.
Check the bearings by "feel" as you turn it.

Also if that grinding stone was on it during the "incident" you should at least check it over real well for cracks, if not just toss it so you know there's no risk. One trick used for checking grinding stones is to remove it, hold it by the centre hole and tap it lightly, a good one should "ring". Here's a short video that captures the sounds well:
(just the first one I found, check around for better ones with more info)

I hate for this thing to be dangerous when it's powered up!
These things spin faster than most tools in the shop.

-brino

:bawling:
i'm very sorry. dang that's a real bummer.
i was going to offer my services (gratis)- if it were something that could be mailed/ups'd
i wish the best of luck in the repairs- i wish i lived a bit closer.
i would love to have a little grinder like that one.
it has a nice footprint and a nice surface size too for the home shop.
let me know if there is any assistance i can offer
Thanks for the offer of support. It's almost like I have ptsd from watching it fall, and dealing with the emotionally unstable delivery guy.

Hi Susan,

That looks like a great size and well made surface grinder. I hope you can get it back into operation.

It looks like fairly minor damage considering what could have broken, depending on how that "dropped" grinder landed.
Since all the damage is at the top end close to the spindle, have you checked for a bent spindle?
You could remove the wheel, and drive belt, put an indicator on the spindle and turn it by hand.
Check the bearings by "feel" as you turn it.

Also if that grinding stone was on it during the "incident" you should at least check it over real well for cracks, if not just toss it so you know there's no risk. One trick used for checking grinding stones is to remove it, hold it by the centre hole and tap it lightly, a good one should "ring". Here's a short video that captures the sounds well:
(just the first one I found, check around for better ones with more info)

I hate for this thing to be dangerous when it's powered up!
These things spin faster than most tools in the shop.

-brino
Hi Brino, I have been sick on bed today. I just read your post. In addition to the wheel guard being spared due to not being attached when it dropped from the shop crane, I am thankful that the table was also not attached at the time. I will check out your video when I am feeling better, especially since the pink grinding wheel that is attached to the surface grinder got cracked from the fall.
Thanks again,
Susan

would you recommend me just getting 1 Scotchbrite wheel and keeping the wire wheel, or would you recommend 2 Scotchbrites on the Craftsman grinder?
Thanks guys! :)
All I've ever needed is a single Scotchbrite wheel - replaced the sanding disk on a 42" (or 30") belt/6" disk sander. Fabricated a spindle extension/wheel mount out of aluminum. The attached photo shows my belt/SB conversion (with a pretty worn but still nicely functional SB wheel).

kHPIM2752.jpg

The second spindle on your Craftsman could be just about anything - stone, wire wheel, or buffer. Kinda depends on what you need to do. Shucks ... you could even get a 2" belt sanding conversion kit for the "other end" of the grinder: https://www.amazon.com/MultiTool-36-Belt-Grinding-Attachment/dp/B00BNBAQ90

Even though I now am interested in using scotch brite wheels, here is a pic of a belt sander that my friend is storing in his warehouse until I make room for it in my garage. Got it at a machine shop auction. Hoping to use this for metal projects. I have a 1930's Craftsman sander with bronze bushings I want to use for wood projects.20170504_121639.jpg

:bawling:
i'm very sorry. dang that's a real bummer.
i was going to offer my services (gratis)- if it were something that could be mailed/ups'd
i wish the best of luck in the repairs- i wish i lived a bit closer.
i would love to have a little grinder like that one.
it has a nice footprint and a nice surface size too for the home shop.
let me know if there is any assistance i can offer
Fyi, this Grizzly surface grinder seems almost identical to mine, despite the fact that mine is probably at least 25 years old (and a lot cheaper). In case you really wanted a small surface grinder..
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x...963?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

I am a nut when it comes to grinding wheels. I have about 5 bench grinders and 2 belt Sanders. And now that the cheap diamond wheels from China are everywhere.
I sometimes sharpen tools with 4 inch hand grinder.
My dad was a meat cutter and he taught me to sharpen knives at a young age. And I ended up with his sharpening stones. They rotated into a oil bath. And you could shave with the knifes when done. BUT then I found a diamond sharping block with 4 grits at Harbor Freight tools and it is so guick that I stopped using stones. I keep one block in the shop and another in kitchen. I sharpen the cheap steak knives so guick that I don’t care if they don’t hold an edge because it is so easy to resharpen
Them. The HF block cost about 12 bucks. I also use them to sharpen woodworking tools.

One thing I have come to really like over the years is....

Flap Grinding Sandpaper Wheels...

Flap Grinding Wheel Sandpaper.jpg

Great tip on the scotchbrite wheel, I'm going to look into that. I've been using wire wheels for decades on my 6" bench grinders and while they do the job they can be deadly. Because of the stuff I do the wheel frays and I can't keep a guard on because it beats on the guard. Same with the tool rest. Early on I didn't pay attention and was getting coarse wheels and it would suck stuff right out of my hands no matter how hard I held. When I went to fine wheels this was much more manageable. I would love to get away from wire altogether and so I'll see if I can find the scotchbrite. I have a Jet 6" with a MultiTool attachment with belt sander and sanding disk with the wire wheel on the other end. Very handy.

Susan and others on the super good de-burring wheels----they are perfect for taking off rough edges like wire wheels do---I have several of them and several wire brushes mounted permanently on dedicated grinders--I also have flap wheels---white stones--and diamond wheels on dedicated grinders---one caution on the deburring wheels is never try sharpening knives or wood lathe tools like you would on the white stones or regular gray wheels----the deburring wheel is too soft and the knife or gouge sharp edge will get caught in the wheel and wreck it and probably jerk it out of your hand----I know this as being a maintenance mechanic and found big gouges in the wheels often when workers tried sharpening chisels and knives on the deburring wheels----wire brush wheels is my favorite tool for cleaning rust and dirt off objects---for myself I don't like any guards on wire brush wheels or the flap wheels---I use them with caution and always use ones with max 6 to 8 thousand rpm-----remember that all equipment we use should be respected and used carefully----Dave

Back