Suggestions For Old Block Grinder

Susan_in_SF

Wood and Metal Goddess
Registered
Hi guys,
I bought a very nice 1/2 hp Baldor 7" 1800 rpm grinder with pedestal at a machine shop auction awhile ago. I wanted to buy a slow speed grinder to use to sharpen my woodturning tools on. Then, I later bought a 1/3 hp old 3600 rpm Craftsman Blick grinder just cuz it looked awesome. Plus, I just happened to already have the Craftsman pedestal that went with the grinder anyways. I plan on primarily using HSS woodturning tools and metal lathe cutters. My mill drill came with a carbide face milling cutter, but I don't even know if I would ever use it. With my Craftsman grinder, I would like to put it to use, but I prefer to keep the side wheel covers on.

Can wire wheels be used with the side covers on, and with only 1/3 hp?

Fyi, I also have a little 6x12 1980's "Frejoth" surface grinder. I first need to repair the gear housing since the a*#hole delivery guy dropped my machine.

I also had an 8" Delta bench grinder that was horrible. So, I removed the lamp, toolrests, eye guards, side covers, bottom on/off base, etc. I am hoping to use one of my vintage 1725 rpm Craftsman motors with dual spindles to maybe make a buffer out of it, with help from old accessories from the Delta grinder I took apart. I already bought the buffer spindle attachment (looks like skinny cones).

So, if any of you wonderful folks have any suggestions for what I can use my old Craftsman grinder for, please tell me. Your friendly input is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,
Susan

I like Scotchbrite wheels - size 1x1x6 (1" wide, 1" center hole, 6" OD). IIRC, I usually get the 7S. It's the cat's meow for smoothing/finishing edges of machined parts and does a very nice job polishing ... steel, aluminum, copper, brass. Unlike wire wheels, it won't be a constant source of sharp flying objects.

I have several pedestal and bench top grinders all set-up with different functions. No need to change anything on the motor, I just use it. It’s a pain to change wheels, especially grinding wheels, re-dress and all that. If you have the $ and room, that’s what I would do…Dave

Yes the flying wires from a wire wheel are a pain (literally!), but I do use one.
I find the wire wheel needs more HP than the grinding wheel.

I wear both a full face guard _AND_ safety glasses when running the wire wheel.
Also cover-alls that I remove at the door.....to help promote domestic bliss.

I'll have to try some Scotchbrite wheels.......(@hman, Thanks John for helping me spend some more money!)

-brino

I like Scotchbrite wheels - size 1x1x6 (1" wide, 1" center hole, 6" OD). IIRC, I usually get the 7S. It's the cat's meow for smoothing/finishing edges of machined parts and does a very nice job polishing ... steel, aluminum, copper, brass. Unlike wire wheels, it won't be a constant source of sharp flying objects.
My Scotchbrite wheel is a 3M EXL deburring wheel, fine grit, 6 x 1". It is great for removing light rust and minor damage from tools. Leaves a nice shiny finish as well as cutting freely.

Thanks @hman . I actually never heard of Scotchbrite wheels before. I definitely am going to do some research on that. I wish I could squeeze in more equipmente into my 1 car garage. I have already made the painful decision of letting go my full size Delta 1460 in exchange for a smaller (yet 90lbs with swiveling headstock) Record Power RPML 300C wood lathe. Anyone living in the SF Bay Area interested in getting my pre WWII Delta 6" jointer (I picked up an Inca combo machine) or my wonderful 1940's Delta wood lathe should message me for a super deal, btw.
@hman would you recommend me just getting 1 Scotchbrite wheel and keeping the wire wheel, or would you recommend 2 Scotchbrites on the Craftsman grinder?
Thanks guys! :)

Last edited:
Hi Susan,
the other guys covered the wire wheel/scrotchbrite thing.
i was wondering about the repair for the surface grinder door that was damaged in transport.
what material is it made from? cast iron or aluminum?

bench grinders are useful for quick removal of stock.
i don't recommend everybody does this, but i usually remove or modify the side covers if they prevent easy grinding of odd shaped parts

i would highly recommend the use a full face shield and glasses when working with wire wheels

I may add even the 1800 rpm grinder is to fast for wood working tools. At most for doing chisels and blades you want half that and to finish them only use hand stones or the slow older stone wheels. And lots of stroping with red and white or green for stainless . Sounds like your into the grind .

Hi Susan,
the other guys covered the wire wheel/scrotchbrite thing.
i was wondering about the repair for the surface grinder door that was damaged in transport.
what material is it made from? cast iron or aluminum?

bench grinders are useful for quick removal of stock.
i don't recommend everybody does this, but i usually remove or modify the side covers if they prevent easy grinding of odd shaped parts

i would highly recommend the use a full face shield and glasses when working with wire wheels

@Ulma Doctor , I am attaching a pic of the surface grinder before that guy dropped it (it's a long story that I prefer not to retell right now-very bad experience) and a pic of it after. I think it's cast iron, but honestly not 100% sure. I am planning on eventually using some 2 part epoxy to glue the pieces back together. Fortunately, it's only the top housing and the vertical handwheel handle that got damaged. I already bought a replacement revolving handle since the original handle broke off at the stem. I am also glad the wheel's safety cover/guard was in the cabinet when the machine was dropped since at least that wasn't damaged. I eventually hope to share my workshop with others, btw :)

00505_aFbkI9slV9r_600x450.jpg

20170619_201906.jpg

20170621_230007.jpg

Last edited:
:bawling:
i'm very sorry. dang that's a real bummer.
i was going to offer my services (gratis)- if it were something that could be mailed/ups'd
i wish the best of luck in the repairs- i wish i lived a bit closer.
i would love to have a little grinder like that one.
it has a nice footprint and a nice surface size too for the home shop.
let me know if there is any assistance i can offer

Back