Suggest index toolholder set please

Excellent! I am glad you checked, because now you know. 6" bench lathes aren't exactly health hazards, but it pays to stay informed. Independent chucks are usually rated for a good bit less RPM than scroll chucks.
Now I understand we are miscommunicating. For clarification of this thread, I am using a 13" swing lathe with a 6" chuck installed.
Still, very glad to have learned that chuck RPM has limits that need to be known.

Your Kennametal SCLCRF 103B is neutral rake, and the CCMT inserts designed for it have a 7° relief angle. So you're good there. I will say that your are really maxing out MRR. I typically run that toolholder and a quality insert at 900-1100 RPM on my PM1340, but often with higher DOC. Yes, I can push it a lot harder but the pucker factor goes way up. And depending on the position of the QCTP relative to the center of the compound point of rotation will have a big impact on rigidity and the tendency at those RPM's for the tool to start hobby-horsing which will lead to insert crack. Chuck limits were my first concern reading your post, but I see you've checked that.
Yes indeed, the exercise of the first chip cutting I posted was precisely to max out MRR. I have no objective reason to run so hard, but wanted to try it. And, as both you and @G-ManBart have pointed out, stuff happens real fast and the risk of crashing with inattention or mis-handling the feed lever is high. Too high for relaxed and careful hobby work. Rest assured the MRR will be dialed back in future.

@pontiac428 , I meant to include you in the previous post as one cautioning prudence in high MRR. My apologies.

As a point of reference, I wouldn't use the Bison numbers as a generic spec because there are a lot of variables.

For example, Precision Matthews uses San Ou chucks for at least some of their machines. As you mentioned, the 6" 3-jaw is listed at 3,600rpm and if you look at a San Ou sold by the importer (which I believe is CME Tools here in Michigan) their picture shows 3,600rpm on the chuck itself. But if you look at their set-tru style 6" chuck it's only 2,500rpm...pretty big difference.

There are others that are the same style (non-adjustable) where they don't appear remotely close to what Bison lists. My 8" 3-jaw San Ou is marked with a max of 2,000rpm, so a full 1,000 lower than Bison.

I actually was looking at a 10" chuck for my 14" Logan recently and several I saw weren't rated for the 2,000 rpm the machine capable of...almost forgot to check that!
I trolled around this morning looking at "value oriented" self-centering three-jaw chucks with 6" diameter. The lowest common denominator looks to be 2500 RPM max rated spin. Pretty easy to get into a higher max RPM for a modest price bump.

Back