1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Succession Planning...what To Do With Our Home Shops/machine Skills

Discussion in 'ATLAS, CRAFTSMAN & AA' started by louosten, Nov 6, 2016.

1. wildo

wildo Active Member Active Member

City:
    Indianapolis
    State:
    Indiana

-Return to Top-

I have to agree with some of the sentiment here. I'm likely half the age as some of you on here and am just getting started in machining. Your equipment is definitely awesome, but your skill, knowledge, and ability to mentor are things that are very interesting to me!

2. LEM

LEM Steel Registered Member

City:
    Vancleave
    State:
    Mississippi

-Return to Top-

The instant you die all of the stuff you have accumulated is no longer yours.

Charles Spencer and RandyM like this.
  3. RandyWilson

RandyWilson United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Chesapeake
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

It's been mentioned, but I want to stress one thing. Do your surviving family a very large favor. Make a detailed list of what you have and what they need to know to dispose/sell it. I am finally nearing the end of dealing with the late father-in-laws collection of antique tools and cars/parts. It has taken me close to two years to sort, identify, and sell/dispose of all sorts of early 1900's stuff; six Model A in pieces to hit-n-miss engines. Magnetos to firetruck parts. A journey I wish on no one.

TL The local used machine vendor I deal with appears to buy his stock mostly at auctions out of eastern Pa. you're in the rust belt, prime used machine territory. Keep looking.

4. Olddaddy

Olddaddy H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Davenport
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I will be 63 next week, not old, but as old as my Dad when he passed 25 years ago. I have a lot of tools and equipment I've owned for for nearly 50 years. Some of it my Dad owned for 50 years before me. He was a mechanic and I'm a welder. I have complete mechanics tools, welding shop, and a woodworking shop. No one in my family has any interest in anything other than facebook and TV. I hope when my number comes up I'll have time to dispose of things in an orderly fashion. I'm ok with giving it away if there is someone who I think will use it and value it as I have. I suppose I'm ok with selling it to leave my family a bit more cash. The thing is, in the end, it is just stuff. It has meaning only when my hands are working with it, my mind is engaged, and something of value is being repaired or created. Once I'm gone it reverts to just stuff. Some folks are lucky to have kids or someone willing to learn from them and carry on. Others are not. It's just stuff. And if some tourist from Iowa in a Cadillac takes me out on my morning ride to work, somebody else can deal with it!

ACHiPo and FOMOGO like this.