Succession Planning...what To Do With Our Home Shops/machine Skills

I have had many fun filled Saturdays at auctions buying tools and equipment. I'll do my part to other's entertainment and have it all auctioned off.

The Circle of Auctions.

Maybe those with the experience & time could be come Teaching Moderators on this or other forums?

We are seeking experienced machinists to act as TEACHING MODERATORS.
If you have the experience, and would be interested, please contact Nels or Tony.

Sold contents of shop, usual machine tools to friend who needed them for $ 8500,
knew he needed them. Money good enough to get out of town. Next accumulation
going to grandchildren, bit by bit. Hope to die and come out even. Please try to
Move tools to give someone a trade, or at least, a Hobby. We all could use the Karma
In our next go- around -----BLJHB.

I have thought about helping out some deserving and motivated young person who seems interested in machining but can't afford to get into the trade, and arranging to have a mill and lathe, plus tooling, given to them gratis, when I can't use the equipment anymore. Maybe even before...

I gave away a small wire feed welder a few years ago, to a high school kid across the street. Now he is an experienced welder and a superb metal craftsman. I like to think this little nudge moved him along a bit.

Glenn

I was told I had 6 to 12 months to live. I hated the idea of dieing on a cold glumy winters day in Minnesota so I donated all my machines and support tooling plus raw stock to a high school and moved to Florida to die. I had now family. Well that was almost 10 yrs. ago; I'm alive and plan on staying that way for a while longer and yet the shop that I have made over again has no place to go after I'm gone so the idea of helping some young person or donating again to a school are in mind.

I was told I had 6 to 12 months to live. I hated the idea of dieing on a cold glumy winters day in Minnesota so I donated all my machines and support tooling plus raw stock to a high school and moved to Florida to die. I had now family. Well that was almost 10 yrs. ago; I'm alive and plan on staying that way for a while longer and yet the shop that I have made over again has no place to go after I'm gone so the idea of helping some young person or donating again to a school are in mind.
I found this interesting topic on another internet forum (The Garage Journal) and coincidentally, had been pondering the future of my own situation:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321460&highlight=who's+lathes

As we go about merrily collecting machine tools, and building our skills inventory, building home shops, and cultivating Old World skills, what will become of all this effort once we leave this earth, and continue to our just desserts?

It worries me sometimes to hear Wifey announce that as soon as I leave, everything I have enjoyed over the years will end up on the curb, or to the eager drive-by for pennies on the dollar, should I be so foolish as to leave cherished machines & tools behind. And what about the skills...should we be actively trying to pass these on to younger generations, who at present aren't remotely interested in any of these activities?

Sorry for the pause in machining activity, just wondering if any of you 'over 65 types' have considered these thoughts too.
I am dealing with this slowly from my Late father's collection of stuff, he got sick and was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer and fought it for 11 months , but was strong and healthy and very active right up till he got sick. We didn't have time to deal with his equipment with everything going on with his treatment. He grew up dirt poor but worked hard and was very successful in business, but growing up poor he could never throw anything away that he might be able to use again. We just now have cleaned out his one 16,000 sq ft storage building from one of his businesses and it was filled with all the trimmings of an industrial mechanical contractor. My Brother is still in that business, and is keeping most of the HVAC stuff I was partners with him in the machining side of the business which was only part time. But I seemed to inherit the hording thing but am getting over it quickly after dealing with this mess, I have a small shop set up in my basement and will probably sell off all the bigger tooling if there is no work for it, unfortunately most of his customers are dying off now and the ones that are left seem more into replacing things than repairing them. I think I am only going to end up with smaller machines that can be broken down and removed in pieces so I can do it myself, we also did rigging but as I edge closer to retirement the big heavy work isn't nearly as appealing as it once was. I hope that I will recognize when I am older when the time comes to move all my stuff on to new owners because I have 2 girls and neither on has an interest in any of it. T J

At 72 yrs and no children, I have given this some thought as well. A niece is the executor of our estate and has instructions to dispose of our material goods at her discretion , realizing that it imposes a burden on her. Smaller items can be sold or donated but the larger machines require some effort on the part of the executor. Bequeathing the machines to a local school is one option but I fear that they are probably better equipped than I am. Another may be to a charity running a training center. Unfortunately, I have only one nephew who might be remotely interested in taking over the collection. Leaving to an individual outside the family isn't my ideal as I would like to know that they would go to create some greater good rather than just being sold on eBay. I would hate to give/sell equipment prematurely only to find that I have a need later on.

Fear not, old-timers! (He said in a jesting manner) There are still some of us in a younger generation who would be THRILLED to learn from you and continue this hobby/way of life while using the tools and equipment of yore. I'm one of them, and am the first in my family to have any interest in machining. If anyone in a similar situation to what is described by many above is any kind of close to me, I would be eternally grateful to have you as a mentor and have the opportunity to purchase equipment when that time comes. I have no children (yet) and would likely do the same for a young'n from the next generation when that time comes.
All is not lost!

Way back, when jobs required 'mentors', and an eager individual being apprenticed to a master, it was an acceptable and coveted opportunity for a young person.
I don't know much about the technical trades, but I remember when learning Ham Radio 40 years ago, that it was great to have an 'Elmer' to guide the way:

http://www.arrl.org/elmer-award

There's still hope for the young person of the present, and future, if we can separate them from their i-phones, androids, playstations, and the concept of instant gratification with no real time or effort expended.

Lou O.

Back