Successfully welded cast iron

but generally steel has higher strength properties, or more flexible props.. since we don't know what kind of steel.

Looks good. If you are going to paint it anyway, why not just use Bondo. Easier to sand down to a good finish.

I always thought the "steel" claim was just marketing hype

I always thought the "steel" claim was just marketing hype
no, it's got it. When I was doing Modeling, I would add chopped glass fiber, or carbon fiber, or sometimes metal powders, micro balloons, West filler, etc depending on need. It adds strength / body to the epoxy.

JB figured that out long before and it works. I fixed a Ford Long shaft starter , A wallowed out hole on the shaft, so my winch drum was not as tight as I wanted, The first time I did not give it enough cure time, so I ground it out. The second time I gave it a week or 2 before using it, and it was hard. It has stood the test of time. That takes a lot of abuse (hammering).

Wouldn't the JB weld be electrically conductive or magnetic? I haven't found it to be either

Came out nice. I probably would have brazed it, but what ever gets the job done. Mike
I was thinking about brazing it but since even broken it did its job, it’s mostly cosmetic. Since it was heated somewhat evenly cooled over hours I don’t think it will crack.

Back