Stupid 3 jaw issue

Both inside and outside jaws should be stamped 1-2 or 3. The numbers match with the numbered slot on the chuck. If you assemble them in that order you should have no trouble with them.

"Billy G"

Both inside and outside jaws should be stamped 1-2 or 3. The numbers match with the numbered slot on the chuck. If you assemble them in that order you should have no trouble with them.

"Billy G"

THeyre not, which is what screwed me up. I didnt pay attention when I took it apart and couldnt find any markings on the check at all, body or jaws. Now that I know which goes where Im going to put some punch marks to keep them straight.

THeyre not, which is what screwed me up. I didnt pay attention when I took it apart and couldnt find any markings on the check at all, body or jaws. Now that I know which goes where Im going to put some punch marks to keep them straight.

It will only go together and work one way. Pretty obvious when you get it wrong.....

You can flip some three jaw chuck jaws. The "teeth" are almond shaped.

If you sit the jaws upside down, scroll teeth looking up at you, sitting right against each other, you will easily see the order they go in by the teeth. Especially looking at the innermost tooth.

The innermost tooth on the Jaw #1 will be the closest to the tip of the Jaw. Then two, the three.

When you install them, put Jaw 1 in slot 1. If the slots aren't numbered, it may not matter- wherever it goes most easily. Turn the chuck key -backwards, WHILE pushing the jaw in. When it "pops" down, turn to the right until you see the first thread of the scroll reach the next slot. There is two.
Same thing for three.

Bernie

Thanks Bernie... I just didn't have time to respond to this one today and you described it very well.

One other thought. If you remove all the jaws and look at any one particular slot while turning the key, you can see the leading edge of the scroll thread. When you see it, back up a tiny bit and put jaw #1 in there then chase it around and insert the other 2. The starting point is basically irrelevant but... In some cases your jaws fit better in some slots over others or, the jaws might have less runout. Do the merry-go-round routine and see if any particular positioning is better and holds pieces with less rounout. If that's the case, make note of where your #1 slot is and always use it.

Ray

You can flip some three jaw chuck jaws. The "teeth" are almond shaped.

If you sit the jaws upside down, scroll teeth looking up at you, sitting right against each other, you will easily see the order they go in by the teeth. Especially looking at the innermost tooth.

The innermost tooth on the Jaw #1 will be the closest to the tip of the Jaw. Then two, the three.

When you install them, put Jaw 1 in slot 1. If the slots aren't numbered, it may not matter- wherever it goes most easily. Turn the chuck key -backwards, WHILE pushing the jaw in. When it "pops" down, turn to the right until you see the first thread of the scroll reach the next slot. There is two.
Same thing for three.

Bernie

That's not idiotic that's experience and I'd really be amazed if everyone one here thats worked with lathes hasn't done the same thing. Where would you be without a mistake to learn from. It's part of getting better.
dickr

I have a brand new lathe that the outer jaws don't fit...the place i bought it from won't fix it either..won't buy from them again..had to buy a new chuck set:angry:

I did see an old 6" South Bend chuck that had reversible jaws,but only that one chuck. The teeth were foot ball shaped,and were not as strong as normal teeth.

Likely done as an economy measure that was not universally adopted because of weakening of the teeth in the jaws.

Last edited:
That's not idiotic that's experience and I'd really be amazed if everyone one here thats worked with lathes hasn't done the same thing. Where would you be without a mistake to learn from. It's part of getting better.
dickr

That's how I know how to write it so clearly!!! Hah :D

Bernie

Yup, experience. But boy did I feel a little stupid once I pulled the jaws out and thought for a second about the meaning of it being a "scroll chuck". :))

Ahh well, live and learn. Its back together now, properly, so its all good.

Back