Stupid 3 jaw issue

kg6bws

Registered
Registered
Like an idiot, I didnt look up a how to first. I wanted to flip the jaws on my 3 jaw chuck and removed them the same as you flip the jaws on a 4 jaw. Now theyre way off. When 1 jaw gets to the center, #2 is maybe 1/16" off and #3 is maybe 1/8 to 1/4" off. How do I realign these? Thanks.

Edit - Think I just found where I screwed up. Going to go measure the jaws and move them around. I now know theyre out of order. Im guessing theyre different lengths to be able to work in the scroll and center themselves. Gonna go use the old trial and error method of fixing idiocy. LOL

if they are in the right slot. just put pressure on all 3 and turn the key backwards til they drop into the same alignment, then tighten to check....if they dont line up you may need to swap 2 and try again

The jaws should be numbered. You turn the key and watch the scroll plate until the thread is just before the #1 jaw, at that point insert the jaw and turn the key until it is engaged turn the key and do the same to #2 and #3.

Yeah thanks. I was typing an edit same time you posted. Gonna go try it out.

I start with the #1 slot when I see the thread start I insert the #1 jaw, slowly rotate the key until I see the thread start at slot #2 insert #2 jaw and rotate some more until I get to #3.

Hopefully theyre numbered. Unfortunately I didnt pay any attention when I took it apart...

Tubal Cain has a good video on you-tube which explains how to take a chuck apart, clean and lubricate it, and put it back together.

You cant "just flip the jaws" on a 3 jaw self centring chuck!
Because they are driven by a scroll gear the jaws are cut with curved teeth to mesh with the curve of the scroll gear. 3 jaw chucks come with a 2nd set of jaws for reversing.
But like others have said, match jaw #1 with slot #1 and engage 1st tooth, then #2, and then #3. Then they should alll line up together.

Cheers Phil

If the jaws are not numbered you can flip them upside down and look at the thread.
The first one has the thread closest to the tip, third will be furthest from the tip.

You cant "just flip the jaws" on a 3 jaw self centring chuck!
Because they are driven by a scroll gear the jaws are cut with curved teeth to mesh with the curve of the scroll gear. 3 jaw chucks come with a 2nd set of jaws for reversing.
But like others have said, match jaw #1 with slot #1 and engage 1st tooth, then #2, and then #3. Then they should alll line up together.

Cheers Phil

HAHA!! So I noticed! :banghead:

Its all good now though. Took a few tries but managed to get it all back together correctly.

Thats what I get for getting ahead of myself. Another learning experience to add to the list.

Back