Stuck with 4 way toolpost. How to cope?

taiwanluthiers

Registered
Registered
So my victor lathe comes with a 4 way tool post. I cannot find a low cost source of any QTCP so for the time being I am having to cope with a 4 way tool post. Anyone here are in the same situation? How do you cope with having to scramble around for the right thickness of shims to get your tool bit up to the right height?

Right now I just buy large tool bits, 20mm square shank. Then a couple sheets of wood veneer brings it to the right height.

For metalworking, wood veneers are not going to make the cut as shims; pun intended.
But it's all I have that will give me just enough thickness to make it to the center. I'm having trouble finding decent shim stocks out there.

I'll bet if you look in your garage or garbage, you'll find a multiplicity of different thickness metal to cut up!
Aaron

4-way setups aren't all bad. They are a nice upgrade from a lantern post. When I work, I typically don't need a fifth tool change, even with a quick change post. Putting a left/right/facing/threading tool in the 4-way will cover a lot of operations. If you need a boring bar, that's one change needed, not too bad. You could even make a tool holder with a clamping protrusion along it's outside length that is set to height, and you can swap those holder/tool "cartridges" quick and easy with no height adjustment- the holder has that built in and set. Seewattamean?

I tend to keep a pile of shims next to a tool on a shelf but I also have a couple of small trays of flat bits of bar or sheet stock.

Stu

IMG_20220707_203513.jpg

Back