Stuck Screw In Toolholder

all the above good plans! U can also take a "sacrificial" slightly larger torx bit, taper the end just a bit and drive it in while applying counterclockwise twist!

Some, not all insert holders, allow for this to happen by having the opposite end of that screw opened up for an Allen wrench to fit there, usually a smaller one but one none the less..

As a last resort break the insert, carbide inserts are extremely fragile and easily broken.

Many insert holders. (not yours however) that are clamp down have a hex socket on both ends of the screws allowing one to insert a hex key from the bottom of the holder. Kennametal often does this, the holder has a right hand thread and the clamp has a left hand thread, the screw that passes through the inserts center hole also has a hex socket on the back end, this will be a RH thread.

Good luck

And yes, I have had occasion to break an insert in order to free it from the holder.

Using a pin punch and hammer pace the holder on a solid surface, the punch on the screw and give it a good whack with the hammer. This distorts the screw and threads and usually loosens the screw. Then a center punch used with hammer taps to turn the screw.

Once all the damage is cleared, put a dab of Never-Seigh in the threads when installing a new screw. And don't tighten the crap out of it. These little screws have lots of holding power in holding the insert in place. I usually have the habit, once tighten, break it loose just a little and re-tighten. Just a habit I've always used to seat the insert properly. Ken.

Back