Stuck Screw In Toolholder

lcorley

Registered
Registered
Hi guys,
I've got a toolholder that I can't get the little T3 screw out of to change the insert. The points of the socket head have stripped in the loosen direction. I was thinking of drilling the head off but thought I'd ask here first in case that's a bad idea.
stripped tool holder bolt.jpg

Will that work, or is there a better approach?

Thanks for any input.

regards,
Leon

I just had this problem. By the time i realized i had the wrong torx driver the screw head was damaged.
First try to slightly tighten the screw. (helps the driver get a bite when you loosen).
Then heat the screw. I used a hand held LPG torch. When the screw gets almost red hot, give the screw head a shot of cold water from a spray bottle. I think it is called quenching. Used often on seized brake fittings. I was going to drill out the screw and tried the heat and quench and it worked. Also sometimes you can force a larger size torx tip in the screw.

Hi guys,
I've got a toolholder that I can't get the little T3 screw out of to change the insert. The points of the socket head have stripped in the loosen direction. I was thinking of drilling the head off but thought I'd ask here first in case that's a bad idea.
View attachment 127282

Thanks for any input.

regards,
Leon
1. Put holder in vise, use torq screwdriver and tap on it with a hammer while trying to loosen.
2, Find a tap that fits and turn it slightly to tighten allowing it to bite in. Then try to loosen.
3. When all else fails. Fire wrench(heat with torch).

Hi guys,
View attachment 127282

Thanks for any input.

regards,
Leon
I am a master of nothing, this seems to be my best subject.
Try breaking the insert, and then use a tool to grab the a screw, pliers needlenose, channel lock and twist out.

Bob

Back