Stranded wire

kmmk86

Registered
Registered
Would this be sufficient to make a extension cord for welder out of. I have three cables of it and planned on twisting them together and taping the entire length.

Attachments

• IMG_20230922_103620840.jpg
    IMG_20230922_103620840.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230922_103735027.jpg
    IMG_20230922_103735027.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 40
Hey thanks for the reply, Yeah I know it would be fairly stiff and hard to deal with but I shouldn't have to use it very often at all. But I occasionally need to weld about 20 to 30 ft away from the receptacle so this is what I have on hand and was just wondering if it would make due for about 20 ft worth of extension.

Okay thanks again, it's just a prime weld 225. And it wouldn't be run at very high in amp on the cord anyway so it sounds like it'll work. I appreciate it.

I have the exact same welder - I use it with a 15' AWG 8, pre-made welder extension cable.
I've run the machine at over 200A for short welds on 1/4" steel.
Checked the cable immediately after putting the torch down, and couldn't feel even the slightest temp increase.
The duty cycle, and torch heat, will limit your welding time at high amps, anyway - You will be fine.

Wow... 4 gauge wires, three of 'em, and 30 feet long...... You're gonna need a chain fall to lift that thing up to hang it on the wall when you're done. After you figure out how to roll it up of course.

As far as amps, that's absolutely glorious overkill. No worries there.

I'm going with that welder uses a 6-50 plug/outlet? That's pretty common for welders (even ones that "should" have a smaller plug).... You're gonna have a heckuva time getting plugs and sockets that small, with terminals that are going to work reliably (safely) with that wire. Rolling it up and unrolling it is going to be a nightmare.

These are not a continuous load. That downsizes the wires tremendously, and the duty cycle downsizes it more. I'm pretty sure you could run that welder legit off of 10 gauge J cord. (Do your own math though.... It takes a lot of googling to piece together all the sections and all the tables you'll need, from a book that's not supposed to be on Google.... What you need is on the welder's data plate, and NEC 630.11
That of course is a minimum standard, I'd have no issues stepping up "a" size, but my gut hunch says that poor "cheated" connections are going to be a reliability/safety/fire issue. Not the wire, not the plug/receptacle ends, but the joining of the two.

As I said though, the wire it's self- That, in and of it's self is not an issue. That wire won't even know the difference when you turn the welder on. It's the rest of the project that bugs me. And that IS more than likely surmountable with enough time and effort, sleuthing out solutions for hooking up things in a way no electrician would ever do, so therefore the notion is not well supported with convenient products that work right out of the box.

Wow... 4 gauge wires, three of 'em, and 30 feet long...... You're gonna need a chain fall to lift that thing up to hang it on the wall when you're done. After you figure out how to roll it up of course.

As far as amps, that's absolutely glorious overkill. No worries there.

I'm going with that welder uses a 6-50 plug/outlet? That's pretty common for welders (even ones that "should" have a smaller plug).... You're gonna have a heckuva time getting plugs and sockets that small, with terminals that are going to work reliably (safely) with that wire. Rolling it up and unrolling it is going to be a nightmare.

These are not a continuous load. That downsizes the wires tremendously, and the duty cycle downsizes it more. I'm pretty sure you could run that welder legit off of 10 gauge J cord. (Do your own math though.... It takes a lot of googling to piece together all the sections and all the tables you'll need, from a book that's not supposed to be on Google.... What you need is on the welder's data plate, and NEC 630.11
That of course is a minimum standard, I'd have no issues stepping up "a" size, but my gut hunch says that poor "cheated" connections are going to be a reliability/safety/fire issue. Not the wire, not the plug/receptacle ends, but the joining of the two.

As I said though, the wire it's self- That, in and of it's self is not an issue. That wire won't even know the difference when you turn the welder on. It's the rest of the project that bugs me. And that IS more than likely surmountable with enough time and effort, sleuthing out solutions for hooking up things in a way no electrician would ever do, so therefore the notion is not well supported with convenient products that work right out of the box.
This will be 220v plug and receptacle

Back