Stove Project in progress

I like your secondary-combustion air. I’ve been pretty impressed with how well the solostove works. Makes me think of the secondary air tube ram inside the primary chamber to preheat it, there could be a benefit.

In spite of the below zero weather and a batch of snow, I was able to make pretty good progress on
the stove project. It's up on legs now, door is cut out, the top is welded on and the chimney pipe installed.
Next is to figure out the best way to make a good air tight door using either a flat plate or possibly using
the curved piece I plasma cut out. The door is big enough so I can crawl inside if I need to. A lifting hook
would be a nice thing to have for loading the stove on a trailer and moving it around since it weighs at least
700 pounds, maybe more.
P1030343.JPG

So that's the progress so far, time for a break.

The door assembly is complete and it has a satisfying kerplunk when the door closes tight. The holes on the
brackets on the stove's hinges were made oblong so that when the door shuts, it will pull in tight all the way around
gasket area. The bar in front of the stove catches on a pair of hooks and pulls the door in tight when the handle
is activated. There are a pair of screws in the bar that allow for adjustment of the tension on the door and the ends
of the bar are affixed with rollers. The next project is the draft system and after that and a little cleanup work, it will be
loaded on a trailer.
P1030348.JPGP1030349.JPG

It was decided that a blower fan would be a good thing to have on a stove like this so after a
bit of scrounging around, I found a suitable candidate for the job. I can rig up a thermostat
when I get the stove to location. I'm not sure yet if I will use the bimetallic strip although it
could be used to activate a switch for the blower.

The other project was to make a flip hinge at the bottom of the stove for easy clean out of the
ashes. It's way easier to rake the ashes out of a hole than to have a grate and tray and
all that extra falderal.

P1030351.JPG

P1030352.JPG

That pretty much completes the stove build for now. The next project will be to load it on a trailer,
haul it to the shop and install it.

Last edited:
really cool (or hot!) and a pretty quick job. Let us know how it works once you get it installed. Looks like you'll probably need it sooner rather than later.

Looking good !
Had an RSG brand stove, with a wall mount thermostat that controlled the damper. It was down draft. Best stove I ever had.

Greg

I have an electric powered damper control in my junk box that would work for that. The damper control and the fan could
be hooked in parallel and then the thermostat would be added in series of course. The stove is delivered so all that is left is the
install. It's in the middle of the shop and there is a bunch of stuff to be moved so will take some effort. Hopefully I can find
someone who can help. The stove needs to be farther from the wall than the old one so that will require taking down 15 feet
of 8 inch diameter pipes and reinstalling. Maybe tomorrow or possibly Monday I will have the first fire.:eagerness:IMG_0614.JPG
Kinda like this :devil:

How do you collect the ashes ?do they collect in a box that slides in/out ?

Back