Stove Project in progress

By opening the flip up door on the bottom, one can rake the ashes into a pan placed underneath the
stove. The stove has three legs and they are spaced far apart in front so there is plenty of room
for a pan under it.

The first firing of the stove proved to be quite interesting. Knowing it would get pretty hot, I mounted the stove
about 30 inches from the wall. I loaded in a hundred or so pounds of wood and lit it off. The blower really gets
things going and is great to get a roaring fire started. Using my temperature gun, I was getting readings like 500
to 600 Farenheit almost everywhere I tested. Of course the paint was burning off so to be expected there was a lot of smoke!
I opened the doors to help elleviate the condition somewhat. I spent an hour or so with a scraping tool removing burnt paint
to reduce the stench as much as possible. Finally it was pretty much burned off and the smoke subsided to a tolerable level.
P1030356.JPGP1030357.JPG
When the shop has cooled off, there is nothing like standing in proximity to this thing, especially in the back of it!
The blower in the back helps transfer some heat to the room so I find that quite useful. The blower in the front
really makes a conflagration if that is what you need...:grin:

I woke up to several inches of new snow this morning, pretty and several degrees above 0F. The morning project was
to see if I could configure an oil drip system for the stove with the junk at hand. I have several coffee cans of brass
pipe fittings and assorted junk so sorted through it. If course I had some parts but not enough. I used the lathe to
cut off some pipe and also to make some thick washer things that I could tap to the appropriate size. The washers were
brazed to the short pieces of threaded pipe so I could make something the would allow me to see the drip rate on the
oil. I don't know how much I will use this but it will be fun to experiment with. The next project it so come up with a
suitable and I might add safe container to hold the oil. I'm thinking of something that will hold maybe a liter or two.
The question is: Will it chooch? My friends up north know what I am talking about.P1030377.JPG This assembly allows one to see the drip rate.

P1030376.JPGThis is all the parts and pieces so far...

I am an AVE fan myself. I would say she surely will chooch.
Just keep the fire where it belongs

I would not go so far as to say I am an AvE fan but I have watched a few of his videos. His stuff is a little
too crude for my liking but he does display a bit of intelligence at times, then again, not. I guess that's
part of his "thing". As far as stove safety is concerned, my first rule would be to be in the shop whenever
using an oil drip type device. Another thing that is of concern is the oil line running to the oil tank. I
will use a copper line likely with two valves, one to control the drip and the other at the tank for a
shut off. Also the oil tank will need to be located a safe distance from the stove. I have seen a few setups using
a rubber or plastic line which is a recipe for disaster. Mostly I burn wood and most likely will use the drip oiler
to help warm up the shop on a cold morning or maybe just experiment a bit and end up not using it at all.

AvE.jpg

This one is for AvE in case he happens to be following along although I think it is from the "Far Side" and he probably has already seen it.:grin:

Last edited:
Back