Starting to outfit a home shop. Need some advice

Welcome to the site Sunpilot. I'm new here myself and like you have the desire to get into trouble....... I mean machining. I've been hanging out here for a couple month now. I can't say enough about how nice this forum is, with lots of intelligent and guys.

So here is my plan at present. I'm going to avoid the Chinese stuff and go with a PM-1236T lathe and a PM-833TV mill. I don't have anything particular that I want to make, but I don't want Chinese and I don't want to small either.

Tim

My suggestion is you find a J head Bridgeport and a 13-16 inch lathe.
Look for used American made machinery.
In the LONG run you will be happier and you will have machines that can grow with your talents, parts are readily available. They are built stronger and will handle oops better.

Why is a gun smith lathe so much more money than a same size engine lathe?

Hello @Sunpilot,

I believe the "tolerances" answer above is part of the story. Another part is the headstock bearing sizes.

Often with gunsmithing a rifle barrel will need to be mounted thru the headstock.
This requires the headstock thru-hole to be large enough to accommodate.

Well you likely can't get bigger bearing ID without bigger bearing OD too.
Then the headstock that holds those bearings might be bigger too.

So while two lathes may look the same in terms of the two most popularly quoted specs (swing x bed length).
They may be much different in terms of bearing size and quality.

Please let us know how your search for machines progresses.

-brino

My suggestion is you find a J head Bridgeport and a 13-16 inch lathe.
Look for used American made machinery.
In the LONG run you will be happier and you will have machines that can grow with your talents, parts are readily available. They are built stronger and will handle oops better.
I've been looking for well over a month and good used machines are hard to find. I live in Arizona, not really a hot bed of manufacturing and industry, so machines don't come up very often. I almost had a chance at Bridgeport mill about forty miles from where I live but there was so much response that the first person to look at it bought it. It's getting frustrating, really. Most new machines are on back order and used are difficult to find.

Hello @Sunpilot,

I believe the "tolerances" answer above is part of the story. Another part is the headstock bearing sizes.

Often with gunsmithing a rifle barrel will need to be mounted thru the headstock.
This requires the headstock thru-hole to be large enough to accommodate.

Well you likely can't get bigger bearing ID without bigger bearing OD too.
Then the headstock that holds those bearings might be bigger too.

So while two lathes may look the same in terms of the two most popularly quoted specs (swing x bed length).
They may be much different in terms of bearing size and quality.

Please let us know how your search for machines progresses.

-brino
Brino,

I will post when I finally acquire something for sure. I'm sure the bearings and head size must have a big role in the difference. Maybe a gun smith might have more insight. Thanks for your thoughts

Frank

Welcome to the site Sunpilot. I'm new here myself and like you have the desire to get into trouble....... I mean machining. I've been hanging out here for a couple month now. I can't say enough about how nice this forum is, with lots of intelligent and guys.

So here is my plan at present. I'm going to avoid the Chinese stuff and go with a PM-1236T lathe and a PM-833TV mill. I don't have anything particular that I want to make, but I don't want Chinese and I don't want to small either.

Tim
Tim,

If I go new, I have the same machines on my list. I'm puzzled by some specs between the 1236T and plain 1236 Precision models though. The T version is $1000 more without a stand and it weighs less than the cheaper Precision. I initially thought all PM machines were made in Taiwan but apparently not. I'm wondering what drives the huge price difference?

Frank

Welcome to the game Sunpilot.
You mentioned Grizzly. I am of the opinion Grizzly also has 100% Taiwan machines.
If you are looking for better fit and finish quality, it seems new Taiwan machine tools have the advantage over the Chinese.
I agree with the others that say, buy old American iron, you'll never regret it.
In some parts of the country these machines come up on a regular basis.
I can see where AZ would be an exception.
Now, if you want to buy a good used golf cart, AZ may be the place -wink.

What ever you end up doing, you'll get plenty of help along the way.

Look up a company in Cleveland Ohio called Taz see what they have available and the prices.
There stuff is sweeeet

Back