Starting The Refurbishment Of My 1947 South Bend 9a

Finally got her back up and running. Nice to be making chips again! Here are some before/after-refurb shots of my SB9A.

The refurb included replacement of all the felts, adding the pin bearing mod on the spindle, replacement of a worn shaft in the gearbox, replacement of the original GE 1/4hp motor with a Grizzly 3/4 hp motor (excellent upgrade, by the way), replacement of the bull gear and spindle step pulley (the originals had been damaged and repaired), replacement of the drive belt, and paint. What few bushings there are seemed to be in good shape. While stripping paint, I discovered my lathe is a war production lathe. It has the tag riveted to the bed. I plan to eventually restore the tag to original colors.

I used a paint color/type recommended elsewhere on this forum. It is a Sherwin Williams oil-based paint. While the color is right and it is not a cheap paint, I would recommend going with a more modern enamel with a hardener. This paint chips fairly easily.

Yesterday and today I completed a couple projects I've been holding for a long time. I made a new shaft for the drive pulley, to go with the new dual-sheave large pulley I bought. I still have to drill it for the taper pin to hold the pulley, then install it (you'll notice in the photos I still have the single-sheave pulley in operation). I also made a rod for my taper attachment that holds the bed bracket. I still need to set the taper attachment parallel to the bed and pour babbit in the bed bracket to set it permanently.

I also made a new screw for an old Mitchell 300 fishing reel (they sure don't make spinniing reels like they used to) and got it back in operation.

You'll also notice the lathe has a new table. I actually built that table a while back. I need to refinish the top. I finished the top with boiled linseed oil. It's hard to keep clean. I may paint it. We'll see.

Nice to have that refurb project finished. Now I can get on to some other stuff.

sb9a old.jpg sb9a old1.jpg sb9a old2.jpg IMG_2420.JPG IMG_2421.JPG IMG_2422.JPG IMG_2423.JPG IMG_2424.JPG

Just picked up a bare casting for a telescoping follower rest on eBay. Not cheap, but certainly less than buying a fully functional one in good shape. Since I have a telescoping steady rest, I can just trade parts to use the follower rest until I get a chance to build the missing parts. I've been looking for one for quite a while, but have been unwilling to pay out $200 or more for one.

Slowly, but surely, I'm putting together quite an array of tooling for my little SB.

follower rest1.jpg follower rest.jpg

You did an excellent job on your lathe.
toolman_ar
I 2nd the Toolman's post but want to add the Rockwell lathe was also excellent.
I have read over this thread and the one linked to above.
2013-12-31 13.04.31.jpg
Like in your other thread my plain taper attachment is missing the bed clamp and tie rod.
Do you know the length of that tie rod? Thanx.
lk

I don't believe the length or diameter is critical. The one I made is 2.770 long and about 5/8" major diameter. It is about 6" overall length. As far as I can tell the only purpose is to hold the unit square to the lathe and allow the bed clamp to slide along the bedway with the saddle. I don't believe any dimensions are critical.

As you can see, I haven't yet poured the babbit to set the rod in the bed clamp yet. That's what those two holes are for. I haven't taken the time to ensure the taper attachment is perfectly parallel with the bed yet. Once I do that I'll pour the babbit to permanently set the alignment.

2016-11-24 12.56.23.jpg

This morning I took a look at my steady rest, to see exactly what parts I will need to manufacture to turn my follower rest casting into a working unit. Turns out it's pretty simple and straight-forward. However, I can't figure out what the split-ring on the knobs is there for. It has to have a function, or they wouldn't have put it there. Still, I can't seem to figure it out. Wondering whether I even need to worry about it when I make the knobs for my follower rest.

Anybody know what it does?

2016-11-24 11.35.08.jpg 2016-11-24 11.35.32.jpg

I don't believe the length or diameter is critical. The one I made is 2.770 long and about 5/8" major diameter. It is about 6" overall length.

View attachment 140068

Thanks Tony: The extra picture is a bonus.
Those two rests are sweet!
upload_2016-11-27_2-45-43.png

However, I can't figure out what the split-ring on the knobs is there for. It has to have a function, or they wouldn't have put it there. Still, I can't seem to figure it out.

Anybody know what it does?

View attachment 140073 View attachment 140074

That split ring might be a retainer for the shoe.
lk

Back