Starting a new shop building

I hope your Son does OK.
I know nothing about foam insulation. It isn't used in our area.
What is the R factor of this installation? Will you leave it or cover it? Dead air space is in the foam right? No need to cover.?

@Investigator Looks good to me. I assume you will probably put up some plywood on the walls to hang thing from. I bet it will help keep it warm inside and reduce the dampness.
I hope your Son does OK.
I know nothing about foam insulation. It isn't used in our area.
What is the R factor of this installation? Will you leave it or cover it? Dead air space is in the foam right? No need to cover.?

Son is fine, it was the coworker friend who does the spray insulation that had the virus. Son helped me spray.

Yes, I already have 3/4 Advantech OSB to go all around the walls.

As far as the R value, I think 1" of foam is supposedly a R-7, but that really isn't an applicable rating for spray foam. Comparing spray foam and batt style insulation via R value is very much like comparing a sports car and a tractor on horsepower. A 60 horsepower tractor will pull plows and implements that a 250 horsepower car wouldn't even move.

The advantage to spray foam, especially in this case the closed-cell foam (which is hard when it cures) is that there is no air penetration at all. Basically I have sprayed my shop with the equivalent of the same insulation in a Yeti cooler.

View attachment 349314

I spray painted mine with white ceiling paint. If you dont do something it turns very orange.

One wall that was sprayed a month or more ago is already orange. I'll get a pic in a couple of days to show the difference.

I really like that paint job! Just any paint? Latex? Oil?

According to the internet:

"Open-cell spray foam has an R-value of 3.7 per inch, while closed-cell spray foam delivers an R-value of up to 6.5 per inch. "

One wall that was sprayed a month or more ago is already orange. I'll get a pic in a couple of days to show the difference.

I bet there was a night and day difference between before and after the foam was installed. Outside and inside noise would be deadened and of course the insulation factor of temperature stabilization.
I remember when I insulated my attic in my little house in lake Tahoe, I immediately discovered a difference in it's ability to hold in the heat from the wood stove. That was in 1979. I paid $27,000 for that house. Sold it for $79,000 3 years later, with upgrades. Seems like a long time ago.

It is just ceiling white house paint. Cheap in the 5 gallon buckets.

Last edited:
Those R values sound about right. I had our house spray foamed with open cell about 10 years ago. I about had a heart attack when the contractor gave me the price of it. It was the best investment we made doing our huge remodel.
Good luck with the new shop.

Joe

update:
This past weekend got a couple things done. Electricity is hooked up yo the shop. I have a 200 amp panel, and currently have a double gang outlet and a double LED floodlight.
20210110_130649.jpg

All four walls now have 3/4" T&G Advantec OSB sub flooring, all the way to the corners. The last secition of each wall, less than 48" have to be trimmed in with the OSB.

20210110_130643.jpg

I'm also strongly considering spraying about 4" of open cell spray foam on the 4' section of walls above the OSB as well as the underside of the roof. With the closed cell and air space behind the OSB and the extra foam above, I should be in real good shape insulation wise.

Will be heading to Lubbock with son this weekend to get some furniture out of storage and get him moved back in his apartment for school, so will be working again next week I guess.

Back