Starting a new shop building

The only downside to spray foam is critters. if you have mice or bugs that chew, spray foam makes perfect habitat.

I didn't know that. It's crazy. With all the things in the world that cause cancer or reproductive harm, I would have thought that spray foam would kill the little B@$tards quickly on purpose.

True story: A few days I picked up a pocket sized Fresnel lens magnifier that they give away at the public library. When I turned it over I was surprised to see a Prop 65 sticker.
California Prop 65 Labels - Full Generic Warning, 2 3/8 x 1 1/2 S-23443

Thje only downside to spray foam is critters. if you have mice or bugs that chew, spray foam makes perfect habitat.

There are two more downsides that are big considerations- foam burns fast, hot, and easily, making toxic clouds of poison gas. That is a major disqualifier. Second, and probably worse, the isocyanates gas out of the foam for many years, leading to sensitization and allergic reactions that get worse the more you are exposed. You couldn't pay me enough to use foam in my shop. Fiberglass doesn't have those issues and works very well.

Second, and probably worse, the isocyanates gas out of the foam for many years,
That is only if it was not properly mixed and applied.
My entire house is spray foamed, and we have no issues, plus, I would like to point out that I am very sensitive to airborne "contaminants." To each their own and use whatever one feels is best for their application.

Last edited:
Go with a light floor color. We had a management idiot who decided to recoat our shop floor with a dark grey. Turned it from a nice, well-illuminated shop into a cave. $%^&!

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

That is only if it was not properly mixed and applied.
My entire house is spray foamed, and we have no issues, plus, I would like to point out that I am very sensitive to airborne "contaminants." To each their own and use whatever one feels is best for their application.

The more significant lawsuits that have been won by the plaintiffs in cases of sick buildings have been a result of faulty mixing during application, resulting in an excess of isocyanate reagent, which will gas out for a very long time. I agree to each his own, I'm not telling anybody what to do. Spray foams are an insulation technology, as much as tetraethyl lead is an anti-knock cure, but neither one are good solutions because of the excessive health risks. Spray foam is on the decline in residential, and is not available in all areas due to state and local public health regulations.

There once was a big bad wolf and three little pigs... The first piggy was young and couldn't afford the right materials. The second piggy optimized his inputs for a balanced budget. The third piggy had all the time and resources in the world. I get it. But when the first two piggies buy welders and grinders, the third piggy tells them through understanding that they shouldn't smoke in bed, lest they wake up ablaze..

About Test Cylinders: If you go that route learn how to properly make them first. Or hire the testing lab to do it. There is a specific method of taking the sample, consolidating each layer with a specific rod with a round end. The top of the sample is treated in the same manner as the slab. The samples are normally stored on site so they are subject to the same environmental conditions that the pour is. @ the end of 28 days they are taken by the testing lab and "stress tested". The pressure is applied at a predetermined rate until failure. Normally multiple samples are tested and a certain # of results somewhat below spec are allowed.

Reinforcing is cheap insurance. Just be sure it is set on chairs so it doesn't get too close to the top or bottom of the slab. Centered is ideal most of the time. If it gets into the soil it will rust, expand & crack the concrete.

Thje only downside to spray foam is critters.
Applies to all types of foam!
We put sheets of foam around the foundation exterior of my Dad's house. A few years latter we had to do some modifications to the sewer drain. When we exposed the foam it was full of rodent homes.
Ever since I've thought about the use of the Styrofoam blocks that are sold to fill with concrete as a combination forming system and insulation. In those the foam goes all the way through in places.

All that said I would still use pink or blue extruded foam sheets in walls & ceilings for their superior insulating qualities. Some jurisdictions require firestop drywall over foam. (& get a cat. )

You're at the early stages of shop planning, so I may be getting ahead of you, and not what you asked. But one thing I would stress is plan on lots of lighting. At least make sure your wiring, circuit breakers, etc, can support way more light than you think you need. A shop will look quite bright when empty, and start to feel darker as you add equipment, workbenches, shelving, tool cabinets, wall hangings, etc. For your size shop, as a minimum I'd want two 20 amp circuits dedicated to lighting (roughly one amp per 100 sq ft). If you put in the ceiling boxes and wiring, you can start out with minimal fixtures and easily add more later.

When we exposed the foam it was full of rodent homes.
wow....

About Test Cylinders: If you go that route learn how to properly make them first. Or hire the testing lab to do it.

We hired a tech from the same testing lab "off the books" to do our test cylinders. Cost a case of beer and a nice steak dinner.
Ever since I've thought about the use of the Styrofoam blocks that are sold to fill with concrete as a combination forming system and insulation.

Me too - but about what we call here "prairie dogs" and then there's voles. I would build with ICF, but there would be stainless stucco mesh over it to keep out the 'critters. That, and a slab curb, about 4' wide outwards from the foundation. Cuts into the cost savings, but makes it a 100 year house instead of a 20 year house.....

Applies to all types of foam!
We put sheets of foam around the foundation exterior of my Dad's house. A few years latter we had to do some modifications to the sewer drain. When we exposed the foam it was full of rodent homes.
Ever since I've thought about the use of the Styrofoam blocks that are sold to fill with concrete as a combination forming system and insulation. In those the foam goes all the way through in places.

All that said I would still use pink or blue extruded foam sheets in walls & ceilings for their superior insulating qualities. Some jurisdictions require firestop drywall over foam. (& get a cat. )
better yet, use rockwool. it's made from metal slag, and the rodents don't like it. I really like the stuff. water beads off, so it doesn't fill like fiberglass, critters of all types don't make homes in it. it is sound deadening, and it is dense, so it keeps the wind at bay. I realize we are talking concrete and foam is much easier against concrete, but rockwool has so many advantages.. fireproof too.

Back