Starrett Spindle Square 649-5 - Photo Review

I bought a couple of SPI's for work, they are OK for knee and bed mills but not so well for a Mazak or Okuma. Tim

Sorry guys, but I don’t see all the fuss in this tramming thingamajig . To me, it’s just another toy, expensive one at that. I just use one indicator and sweep the table a few times and it’s done. And I do not have a problem with the slots. If you do, maybe try a large parallel ring, like a salvaged bearing race to avoid the slots. And when using only one indicator, no calibration is necessary...Dave

Sorry guys, but I don’t see all the fuss in this tramming thingamajig . To me, it’s just another toy, expensive one at that. I just use one indicator and sweep the table a few times and it’s done. And I do not have a problem with the slots. If you do, maybe try a large parallel ring, like a salvaged bearing race to avoid the slots. And when using only one indicator, no calibration is necessary...Dave
:+1:

Its about speed and ease of use for some with this tool, if you are just verifying a head is parallel with the table, chuck up the tool, touch off and see where you are at. No math or fuss that some may find difficult with a standard indicator. Tim

Last edited:

Yup I thought the same thing until I received one as a gift a few years ago. Even had it for a while before I decided to use it. Will never go back to sweeping with a single indicator. It really is faster and easier.

I don't care who ya are, that's funny

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to admit the negative post above bothered me. It basically said if you buy a Starrett spindle square like Charles did you are an idiot. Its the kind of negative post I see on a lot of forums that I do NOT post on anymore.

I have to admit the negative post above bothered me. It basically said if you buy a Starrett spindle square like Charles did you are an idiot. Its the kind of negative post I see on a lot of forums that I do NOT post on anymore.
Which post are you referring to ?

I made one like aliva did. Works quite well. I zero the two indicators, rotate 180 and check the difference then adjust if needed. Love the Starrett tools but for now the price is a bit high for me. Maybe someday.

Would love to see the video on the two pebbles and gum wrapper if you can throw one up. :encourage:

Dave

Back