Starrett Spindle Square 649-5 - Photo Review

I love Starrett tools. Class all the way. OK there might be a few dogs out there.
Are you thinking of loaning it out? ;^)

Chuck the grumpy old guy

But I gave 'em back last week!!!

But on a more serious note, I know of many a tool that used to reside in my domicile that are out there amongst the hidden heathens, nary to be seen again.
But then just last month, I found a whole set of combination wrenches that I never bought or was given (willingly). Probably from 15 -20 years ago. They
are marked with a purplish paint that should identify the original owner, but darn if I can remember who.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

I guess I'm cheap, for $200 I can sweep a lot of table. Instead of bumping into the T slots, I use two .050 Jo blocks, one at either end of the sweep. I position the indicator abut eight inches from the spindle, this gives me 16 inches of sweep, not four, it's at least four times more accurate (no, not accurate), meaningful. When I get it within .0005 in 16 inches, that surely seems closer to square than .0001 within 4

Last edited:
Nice Coolidge!
I have an Edge and like it. It has a quality feel. Granted it does use cheaper indicators and I have no idea of its country of origin. It seems to work well, but now you have me wondering. I'll have to think if a way to verify it! calibrating is no big deal, it comes with a little magnet about 1/4" tall. With the square in the spindle, you zero one indicator with its tip perched on the magnet, then swing the other indicator around and do the same.

I had wondered how the Starrett is calibrated. But looking at the ground base in your pix, I guess you set it down on a surface plate and zero both indicators?

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see the price on the AMT and Starrett are about the same now!

It does Look like my $80.00 E-bay few years back AMT Spindle Square but with starrett indicators.

Spindle-Square.jpg

Spindle-Square.jpg

Last edited:
Contract Pilot - even the cases look the same AMT and Starrett.

Stan - I felt for only $65 more I got a lot more with the Starrett vs the Edge.

Tom - Due to my day job my time in the shop is limited so anything that saves me time is a plus.

Interesting that the AMT and Starrett units both carry the same patent by Navarro (AMT) and look identical with the exception of the CNC engraving and the indicators. My AMT is steel, too, by the way. Reckon they're made in the same shop?

I made this one from 1 inch aluminum square stock and a 3/4 SS rode. Works very well, I confirmed it by sweeping the mill table with a DTIDSC05424 (1152 x 864).jpg

Back