Standards Or Blocks To Test Micrometers?

No Holes, I don't think the average hobby workshop should be equipped with that. And I agree, the people who really understand what they are seeing and measuring with that level of equipment are few, and getting fewer. Much less the handful who know how to properly address their findings.

I just mentioned their existence to stimulate conversation and provide a little insight on a higher level of addressing assessment of instruments than was likely to be common knowledge. Besides, I'm not going to insult anyone's
intelligence when it comes to widening their horizons on things related to the topic of discussion. If they want to know, power to them.What I hate to see, and I see it all too often, is that people make recommendations based on flimsy information about another member and their needs and level of competency.

Be careful of buying cheap new gage blocks, another member here bought some shars blocks and found that a stack up yielded as much as 7 thou offset, that's not a number I want to calibrate my Mike's too
That I would have to see. How were the gage blocks checked? 7 thou out on gage blocks is like cutting an inch off your ruler. Not saying it isn't possible, just would have liked to see the sequence of proving the gage blocks wrong. Probably a mislabeled block, which can happen, but should never make it out the door. That is the problem with some of the imports, They mostly do good work, but do not do 100% quality control on everything before it goes out the door. YOU are the QC person...

Bob, I think it was hman, he posted about it in the potd thread, and I think it was the round blocks, he said that the holes were drilled out of square on some as well. Sometimes the imports are ok, but sometimes they can just outright be terrible. I have a small set of Dearborn Johansson blocks that still wring and still mic spot on. I got lucky getting that used set, they are ooooold, 20s?

Back