Stain prevention under mill vise

Scotchbrite on a sanding block does well... but if it doesn't remove those gold-colored oil stains, use the blue version of Easy-Off oven cleaner. Blue is the glycol ether formulation. If that doesn't do it, use the yellow version- that's sodium hydroxide and you shouldn't use it on metal- unless you are paying attention and have a rags ready. It works like nothing else on cylinder heads, and turns oil into soap on contact. That'll strip the stain off.

If your cutting oils are free of sulfur and Chlorine, which they appear to be. The stains may be caused by condensation. I see you are in Calgary. Is your shop heated all the time or does it go cold then you turn the heat on when you want to use it. Also, does your concrete floor have a wet feel to it. Cement can leach moisture into the room.

Shop has room temp thermostat heat. Calgary is actually pretty dry. My rust issues are practically zero compared to what I hear about in other regions. I am tending to agree its probably the combination of cast iron maybe more open grain that is allowing the oil to penetrate, flash off the light ends & basically color stain. You cant dfel anything & nothing comes off like with a light 1000# stone. Most lightened or came off with WD-40 but like I say its progressing a bit every time I remove the vise. Just a visual thing that OCD eyes are mostly affected by. My Bison vise might be CI but I suspect probably high end stabilized steel. No staining there, even on the underside. Here are some pics I have handy.

Somewhat unrelated, I occasionally will put some card stock between the the moving mill jaw & a part if its not a perfect surface to help bridge micro-nonconformity or if the part is very thin to add some gription. I suspect the answer is No because I've never heard of it, but would it be beneficial to add any kind of paper 'gasket' under a mill vise between the mill table? I'm not actually sure if this would partial seal oil seep or maybe make it worse?

Attachments

• IMG_7647_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7647_edited-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7649_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_7649_edited-1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 20
A paper gasket could 'tip' your vise, especially if it absorbs oil or water based cutting fluid. You would be better off with copper - except- osmosis will defeat you every time....

Good points. I guess I'll just wear sunglasses when I remove the vise LOL.

Back