Stain prevention under mill vise

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Thought I would post this question here because maybe some of you have some insight for both stain removal & prevention.

I have a relatively new Taiwan mill. After removing my Bison vise (similar to pic) I noticed some slight discoloration on the CI table corresponding to the vise foot print. I don't use flood coolant but do use oil based cutting fluids & occasional squirt of way oil on the screw & vise slides. First couple times it was barely noticeable & came off with a soft scuff pan & WD-40 or mild petroleum based degreaser. Now it seems a bit darker & somewhat more persistent. Might have been there for a longer period over summer or also more use, not sure. Its like a tan color stain, not really corrosion. Its not really hurting anything... but my eyes. LOL

I've heard of coating products that you can spray on that prevent stains & corrosion, but I'm not sure a film of anything between the vise & table is a good idea?

The other thing I was wondering - I've been using this natural cutting oil more recently. It doesn't irritate by skin quite as much as Tapmatic. It doe not contain water according to the specs. But I had a bad experience with some other kinds of cutting fluids before that had a similar claim. I use it on the lathe too but the ways are always being wiped & oiled so maybe explains no sign of stains there? Anyone else had issues with the stuff?

Attachments

• SNAG-10-11-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-10-11-2020 0000.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 28
  • SNAG-10-11-2020 0001.jpg
    SNAG-10-11-2020 0001.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 33
Stains on the table are better than skin irritation IMHO.

I think this is a common problem and although there might be a solution it's probably like dings in your pickup bed, just shows it's being used....

John

Cast iron is porous so some discoloration is natural. It's way of showing it's not just a wall flower. I recently had the vice off my 16 YO mill. The entire table looks about the same, experienced.

Some discoloration is inevitable, it is a sign of a working machine. That said, I always coat the bottom of my vise and the table in the area that I install the vise with oil. It prevents rust, and I have seen rust form between vise and table even in very humid weather. I also stone the table with a fine slip stone before I install my vise. Stone the entire table, not just where the vise goes or the area where the work is done, that prevents a hollow spot from forming over time.

Richard

High sulfur cutting oils can stain the metal surfaces of our lathes and mills. If you leave the vice mounted the sulfur will leach under it and will work through any oils that you may have there to protect the surface.
Best is to find an oil that is very low in sulfur to help.

WD-40 might help, but I personally hate the smell. Perhaps some light oil like 3-in-one? I think it's low in sulfur, and I like the smell
-Mark

hmmm... I just read the specs for Tapmatic TapMagic. I wonder if thats a generic thing with most all cutting fluids or particular to this one. No mention of sulfur in anything I use.

· Recommended use: Machining, Cutting, Tapping, and Metal Processing. · Restrictions on use: After use of this product, clean and lubricate metal surfaces to avoid staining and/or corrosion.

Tap Magic is Sulfur and Chlorine free

If your cutting oils are free of sulfur and Chlorine, which they appear to be. The stains may be caused by condensation. I see you are in Calgary. Is your shop heated all the time or does it go cold then you turn the heat on when you want to use it. Also, does your concrete floor have a wet feel to it. Cement can leach moisture into the room.

Try cleaning the bed and the vice bottom. Coat boat with a rust inhibiting lubricant and remove the excess. See if this might help. I have a feeling that it is the environment that may be causing the staining which is most likely rust forming in the pores of the cast iron.

A fan running in the shop at all times would certainly help to remove condensation and help to protect you equipment. We live on a boat and it never fails to amaze me how a small fan can remove moisture in the air. They also make those small fan/heaters for boats that work exceptionally well. They draw very little energy and are safe to be left on unattended. Another thought, but pulls more energy is to leave an oil filled room heater running in the room all the time. They are very safe to leave operating and will also circulate air by convection and help reduce humidity.

I learned the hard way with some cutting fluids how badly they can stain. After I found this can happen, I read the bottle closer. "Clean area after use to avoid staining. Ugh...$600 Kurt vice... I think it was CRC product...I really liked it too. This didn't answer your question, but at any rate some stuff is just going to do this and I'm curious to hear the answers here.

Back