Square Tube Thickness For Mill Stand

Finished the stand yesterday and dropped it off elsewhere to be blasted and powder coated (satin black). Should have it back this coming weekend.

Attached pics of my finished stand for PM932... powder coated in satin black. The two short 2x2 square tubes are still 1/8" thick since they don't extend beyond the edge of the base. The two long tubes, where the levelers attach, are 1/4" thick. That combination is actually better than having all the tubes 3/16" thick so I'm content. I also added four 1/4" thick triangle shaped support plates... complete overkill but I already had the plate and I may have a use for them later.

The levelers extend an additional 8" to each side of the original bolt holes in the base, essentially doubling the left/right footprint from 16" to 32" which should make the stand more stable than I'll ever use it for. The front/back footprint is also slightly wider, going from 17-1/2" to 25". The threaded rods are 12" long... only because I had a 4' section. I don't plan to raise the mill any higher than I have to but I'll keep them that length for now. Eventually, once I've used the mill for a while, I'll cut them shorter.

I also have (4) 6" x 6" x 7/8" DiversiTech "MP-6E" EVA Anti-Vibration Pads which will go under the levelers. I originally purchased some for a rather large heat pump unit outside my house and knew spares would come in handy. They are only rated at 50 psi but using the levelers as the basis (3.75" diameter = 11 square inches) = 550 pounds per pad x 4 pads, and they can support 2,200 pounds.

I'm now more comfortable with the stand and completely happy. Thanks much for chiming in... it helped keep me on track.

MP-6E.jpg Mill 001.JPG Mill 002.JPG Mill 003.JPG

Back