Square Tube Thickness For Mill Stand

65Cobra427SC

Registered
Registered
I purchased enough 2" Square Hot Rolled Tube from the local Metal Supermarket. Started making a stand to go under my PM932M Mill similar to the one shown in the picture below which I (quietly) borrowed from elsewhere :wink:

The tubes extend 8" beyond the left and right edges of the cast iron base... levelers will be 2" in from the ends of each tube... and castors will be installed between the levelers and the base... in case I ever need to move it.

The problem is I ordered and paid for 3/16" thick tubing, but not until after I finished all the cutting and drilling did I notice they only gave me 1/8" tubing. I will be going near their place in the late morning or early afternoon. But my main concern is if the 1/8" tubing is sufficient to safely support the mill, etc. I don't want to worry about it bending or collapsing some day.

Thanks

PM932 Stand.jpg

1/8" wall thickness seems light to me for the weight of your mill and the design you have chosen. I would be concerned about the 8" extensions carrying 1100 lbs. of weight. If you have the table to the extreme left or right, you will shift the center of gravity so two of the extensions would be carrying the bulk of the weight. This mill is very similar to the Grizzly G0755 in size and weight and when we moved it, we had a caster rated at 700 lbs. buckle under the load. Remember that you will also have the additional weight of your fixturing and work to factor in.

Bob

If you do'nt want to rebuild it, get some 2' x 1/4" bar and reinforce it by welding along the length where the outriggers are. Additionally, you could make large washers using the same 2"x1/4' to go under the feet nuts to distribute the weight. The 1/8" under the base is fine, in fact I have levered up the rear of a 2 ton
(loaded) truck with a piece of 2"x 1 1/2"x 1/8 tube to fix a flat tyre. Never leave hydraulic jacks lying os their side for 10 years without checking same for efficiacity.:bipolar:
John. P.S. the supplier should supply you the materials for this fix for free or less:p

Holy price difference bat man...I decided to drink my own koolaid and called a couple of other local metal suppliers in addition to Metals Supermarket this morning. Quotes were for 20 feet of 304 stainless square tubing, 3x3 inch .188 wall thickness with 2 cuts.

Local supplier A - $342

Local supplier B - $306

Metals Supermarket - $683 good lord!

Holy price difference bat man...I decided to drink my own koolaid and called a couple of other local metal suppliers in addition to Metals Supermarket this morning. Quotes were for 20 feet of 304 stainless square tubing, 3x3 inch .188 wall thickness with 2 cuts.

Local supplier A - $342

Local supplier B - $306

Metals Supermarket - $683 good lord!

<insert inappropriate comment here> That's a huge difference.

For what they charge you they should replace it with the 3/16" or better yet 1/4". Sounds like the stock man must read his scale to sell you the wrong material in the first place.

Good luck

You might be able to gusset with some 1/4 x 1.5 strap around base

Thanks to everyone for the excellent and interesting replies. To make a long story short, they didn't have 2x2 in 3/16 inch... which is why I ended up with 1/8... but it was cut at the end of the day by one person and I didn't pick it up until the next day, so no-one realized what the situation was. The owner apologized, I ended up with 1/4 inch, and I'm okay with the adjustments he made with the money. Having 1/4 inch may be overkill but it will keep me from worrying about the stand every time I walk in the room, or hear a noise in the middle of the night, ha. Plus, now I have everything ready to take to the welder in the morning. So that problem is solved.

Since this is all new to me, I had no idea where else to go and get pretty much any metal I need for a reasonable price. But now that I have what I need to finish the frame, I plan to check around and see what other options I have before I find myself needing something else. I've heard good and bad about Metal Supermarket but I got the impression that you should contact the local place directly, and don't use their online service. Apparently going online inflates the prices. But I'll still see if I can find someplace better... and hopefully closer.

Coolidge, that is one very nice stand... great design. Had I seen that ahead of time, I might have changed but I already made the levelers and I'm too far into what I have to change now. Believe me, it's a blessing just to not have to worry about it falling.

I did make a couple minor changes but I'll post a picture here once it's finished. Thanks again.

Back