Spotting Drills

I have now played with spotting drills with both 90 and 120 deg angles and tried deep and shallow.
I like my old center drills the best!
R

I have now played with spotting drills with both 90 and 120 deg angles and tried deep and shallow.
I like my old center drills the best!
R

I bought some spotting drill as well, based on comments made here. I do use them, mostly on the mill, but they won't replace my set of carbide center drills for the lathe.

With the advance of CNCs , spotting drills became a neccesity , The solid bodies allow long lengths to be held out of toolholders . Your cycle time is reduced because they do not have the small pilot drill , thus reducing your drilling depth on z axis . They are much easier to program for CNCs also . You know the angle and the desired width you need , so depth is a simple trig calculation . As far a the different angles ? Many DOD jobs require different angles for different applications . They tie them up and they check them closely . I use spotting drills over center drills for one reason . I can run them at a higher speed and feed . Center drills may go from 1/8pilot to 1/2" body which changes your surface speed dramatically causing them to break , dull , load up etc . They are also very easy to resharpen .

Last edited:
Reactions: rwm
I use center drills. When they dull, I save them and sharpen them as usual, but grind off that nub. They work perfect.

Hi Andre. This sounds interesting. Do you have some details on how this is done?

With the advance of CNCs , spotting drills became a neccesity , The solid bodies allow long lengths to be held out of toolholders . Your cycle time is reduced because they do not have the small pilot drill , thus reducing your drilling depth on z axis . They are much easier to program for CNCs also . You know the angle and the desired width you need , so depth is a simple trig calculation . As far a the different angles ? Many DOD jobs require different angles for different applications . They tie them up and they check them closely . I use spotting drills over center drills for one reason . I can run them at a higher speed and feed . Center drills may go from 1/8pilot to 1/2" body which changes your surface speed dramatically causing them to break , dull , load up etc . They are also very easy to resharpen .

Reality check due here. Spotting drills were a necessity long before CNC work. Automatic Screw Machines used them in 90 - 100 - 120 degrees for years. They couldn't get a straight hole without them.

"Billy G"

I grind old broken drills and broken centerdrills to make spotting drills and I don't pay much attention to the point angle. As . long as they are short and stiff'
jimsehr

I am CHEAP.

You aren't cheap, you're FRUGAL. Machinists are the original recyclers.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
I grind old broken drills and broken centerdrills to make spotting drills and I don't pay much attention to the point angle. As . long as they are short and stiff'
jimsehr
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimsehr,
You are the second guy to mention grinding/resharpening old center drills. Ericc, myself, and probably others are still waiting for details/tutorial on how this is accomplished. I've tried it a few times, but never had a good outcome. TIA, JR49

Easy way. To regrind a broken Drill I either cut the broken part off or if it's not to bad I grind the end flat first.

"Billy G"

Back