Spindle wrench

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So I was all set to think about a spindle wrench for the mill and I discovered that it might not be possible.
I was expecting to actually see some of the spindle below the drawbar but it’s flush with the pulley nut.

I was thinking maybe a socket would fit over the spindle. I could bore out the square drive part to slip over the drawbar and then weld a handle to the socket maybe?

With the ER chuck it’s ok because I can put a wrench on the flats on the chuck.

I have MT3 collets I’d like to use but I can’t tighten up the drawbar.
17c0e6fecf3c168074c3ade399b07828.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that pic, is the quill lowered at all? Quill needs to be fully retracted to access it. At least on my mill anyway.

It’s completely retracted

Ah man, that sucks. I was getting ready to sell my old wrench too. If it would have worked for, seeing this thread I was going to offer to just send it to you for free.

Is it a flat wrench?
I think I’ll have to make one that drops into the recess somehow.
I think I might have some tallish round stock that might work

Yes it's flat. There was a guy making & selling these on ebay yrs ago. I forgot I had it. Stopped using it cause I got this other one, which I also don't use anymore.

Img_9996.jpg

That’d work if the head was maybe 1/2” or more thick.

You think you can make it work? If yes I'll send it to you. But it looks to me like it won't fit in there unless the diameter is reduced. It's missing a bit of paint, was gonna clean up the welds & repaint before posting it for sale.

That’d work if the head was maybe 1/2” or more thick.

Ah, I see what your plan is. Before I bought that first wrench I had found a spline coupler that would have worked for you. I have no idea where I saw it though. I think it was a coupler for a PTO spline or something like that.

Really appreciate the kind offer Will but I don’t think it will work unfortunately.
I’m going to have to make one.
I just noticed that there’s only about 3/8” of exposed spindle so it’s going to need a socket type approach I think.

Back