Spiders!

Alright, what do you do about spiders and cob webs??!? (preventing, not just smooshing...)

My shop is split between basement and garage. Garage is worse, but I get my share of cobwebs in the basement too. Dang things will show up overnight... I sweep, I vacuum, occasionally even spray... but they're EVERYWHERE!

I don't see many bugs... so either spiders are very effective, or they're setting up shop in vain... but I do hate those webs!
I go to the big box store and buy a good bug spray in the gallon jug. about every 3-4 months depending where you live. Spring, mid summer and fall is a good time. I spray all corners, along the base molding, all along where the ceiling meets the walls, around the doors and windows. Doing this in both the garage and basement has worked well for me. All my areas are finished and the spray does not hurt painted surfaces.

Will : post # 7 , them salt shooters are kinda pricy , air or spring powered ? , dose it have to be salt ?
How bout sand , blast media,
yup new project on the list :eek:

Will : post # 7 , them salt shooters are kinda pricy , air or spring powered ? , dose it have to be salt ?
How bout sand , blast media,
yup new project on the list :eek:

Spring powered. Not sure about other media, I only use salt. Not sure if it would work well with any other media that's heavier than salt or with a larger grain size. I first had the original. The latest 2.0 version shoots harder & uses less salt per shot, big improvement over the first version. The 2.0 actually stings pretty good if you shoot your skin, leaves a mark too.

But still it's just a toy. Meant to kill flys & does a good job. I shoot crickets too but if they're kinda big it'll take more than one shot to kill 'em. More so it's just fun using it. If you subscribe to their email they usually have deals for almost all holidays.

Unfortunately if you want something much stronger you'll have to make it. And if you do please share! Here's one:

Have you noticed that you don't have as many mosquitoes or flies lately? one spider eats about 2000 insects per year.
Haha!!!

After the hurricane, There are not enough spiders, birds, etc., to bring the mosquito population in check! And they are out for blood!

It's a little better now, that the county has done some spraying out here where I live.

Walnut blast media ? Or what the heck shoot screened chips , already have them bet they kill crickets.
I'm thinking pvc barrel, spring loaded piston

Ken, You need some bats flying around, They take down the a lot of those blood sucker. they also do flies etc, but not spiders. We get this black and yellow spiders here that can make a 6 foot web over night and legs and body can get about the size of a kids hand. They also eat a lot of bugs. but it is a mess trying to get around their web without getting into it.

Been bit 3 times by brown recluse.cut on 3 times..black widow got me..it died.caught hell about that..

Kvt sounds like a banana spider , harmless good to have actually, Bats are nocturnal there food is too.
Bats are good for night.

We coexist peacefully with the spiders around here. The webs only get cleaned up when we are expecting visitors.

The poor little buggers are only doing what nature has intended. Many different kinds but none are dangerous to us that I know of.

Its kinda neat when sawdust fouls the spider webs and turns them into artwork in the shop.

Much prefer spiders to flying bugs that bite. If only I could get the spiders to eat ants and ladybugs.......

Trivia: As far as I know, man has not been able to manufacture fibre as light and strong as spider webbing, so I gotta admire them (the spiders that is).

Back