Spiders!

Eek.
We also get these things in the US midwest- house centipedes. Harmless but high yuck-factor... they're big and they're fast!
Just great when you have guests over, and one goes streaking across the floor...

1400945316090.jpeg

Last edited:
The only spider that we have in the buildings is the Cellar Spider. It has very long skinny legs and a small body. I call them Whirling Dervish spiders because when you touch their web they start to spin in a small circle. They inhabit the basement shop and while not dangerous, they are a nuisance because of the messy cobwebs. They presumably eat small insects but given their small bodies, I can't believe they eat enough to be worthwhile keeping. Give me a fat spider any day.

Where spiders thrive, their dinner lives. Eliminate other bugs yourself, instead of relying on the spiders to do so, and they will go away.
Naturally, you probably can't do that, so its best to learn how to coexist with them. My daughter, who is an arachniphobe, uses some sort of supersonic sound generatorvto keep them out of her house.

My shop is infested with "daddy longlegs" spiders who mainly congregate in or near windows; when they get too thick and webby, I get out the shop vac or a big stick. They are messy but harmless. We also have the black widow spiders, but they do not like the shop environment, thank you very much!

Is that red - back just another name for a black widow. It sure looks like one. I was surprised to see a widow in that chart from Oz. You guys have so many truly nasty spiders I figured the widows would just get eaten by them.

related species so not identical. Our black house spider will prey on redbacks and the white tailed spider will prey on the black house spiders.
I keep out of all their ways so they cant prey on me.

Spiders build webs where there is something to catch and eat, which is usually something more objectionable than the spider. I leave them alone mostly, unless they are brown recluses or black widows.

It is said that with few exceptions, no human has ever been more than 3 feet from a spider.

I must confess, I am pretty freaked out with the little *******'* They have always given me the creeps big time since I was very young, Generally speaking we are lucky in the U.K. except for the South Coast of England where they have the False widow spider , apparently It can give a nast nip In Scotland we have nothing really nasty, Although about tenty years ago I got a nip from a strange looking spider , It left my hand numb for a couple of hours, Never seen one like it again
Anything with more than four legs, is not on my love it to bits list, Cats, Rats, Mice, Dogs , horses Etc -- My kind of guys.

After having a nice hole in my leg and muscle from a spider bite, I hate both brown recluse and black widows with a passion. Others I do not care for, but can put up with them, They do get other items out. If I find one of the bad ones, I then set off fumigators and spray to get rid of things.

The only spider that we have in the buildings is the Cellar Spider. It has very long skinny legs and a small body.
I have a boat load of them in my shop too this year.

Back