Speed handle for 5" mill vises?

I slapped this together when I first got my mill vise to just to get started. It works so well I don't plan to make a "better" one. It is a speed handle if you hold it almost in line with the vise screw and at a right angle it will apply torque.blob.jpg

Will, thanks for the dimension. I like the concept of the middle hex being centered. Yes, I would like the pdf and I will PM you.

No problem, I emailed it to you. As you will see, with the handle I have, the center hex actually has a slightly longer distance to the handle compared to the outboard hex.

It sounds like bare aluminum isn't quite the way to go. I'm not set up for anodizing but have plenty of Cerakote in various colors.

I'm wondering if blasting, cerakoting and curing would make these more or less attractive? I've got several pints of cobalt, burnt bronze and gunmetal Cerakote, as well as some Gunkote in coyote tan, flat dark Earth, od green, and earth brown that are a few years old, I could use up on these handles

On yours it looks like you use fasteners to bolt on the handle, with just a slight modification, you could easily make it a revolving handle instead. That should take care of the "hand polishing" issue.

Mine is a revolving handle. The knob rotates independant of the rest of the handle.

The fastener is a shoulder screw. I'd post a pic of what a shoulder screw is, but I'm on a smartphone and have no idea how to do that. There was a time when I could right click, find "properties", then copy the URL. Seems the stopped that on phones.

The screw has a 2" unthreaded shank. My knob has a countersunk end only to enclose the shoulder screw head, but the countersink is .01 larger in diameter than the shoulder screw head. The knobs smaller diameter inside bore is .5" diameter and 1.99 long. The shoulder screws bearing shank is 2" long and .495" diameter. The knob, installed with 1 drop of grease on the shoulder screws shank, spins like it on ball bearings.

But, it is absolutely, a revolving knob. Rather smooth turning too I might add

Last edited:
well mine is not pretty, but after using it a while it will be less pretty. It will definitely hit the front clamp area of the vise and get beat up.
Handle is anodized tubing I had with a lip so I could recess the screw. just a 1/4 20 long carriage bolt with the head cut down, the square removed, then slotted . works as it should. Didn't overthink it, just made it.
SDC11934.JPG SDC11933.JPG SDC11932.JPG

Looks great Woodchucker!

Looks and fluff are for those of us trying to sell something! For those who are making their own hard use tools, fluff is irrelevant ;)

Mine is a revolving handle. The knob rotates independant of the rest of the handle.

The fastener is a shoulder screw. I'd post a pic of what a shoulder screw is, but I'm on a smartphone and have no idea how to do that. There was a time when I could right click, find "properties", then copy the URL. Seems the stopped that on phones.

The screw has a 2" unthreaded shank. My knob has a countersunk end only to enclose the shoulder screw head, but the countersink is .01 larger in diameter than the shoulder screw head. The knobs smaller diameter inside bore is .5" diameter and 1.99 long. The shoulder screws bearing shank is 2" long and .495" diameter. The knob, installed with 1 drop of grease on the shoulder screws shank, spins like it on ball bearings.

But, it is absolutely, a revolving knob. Rather smooth turning too I might add

In that case you should be fine not cerakoteing it or anodize. The bare machined finish looks best IMO!

My version of a speed handle for my vise. An example of using the tools and materials available. At the time I made this I did not have a mill, but I did have a milling vise mounted on my drill press. The vise has a 14 mm hex.

I picked up a 14mm 6 sided socket at a local flea market. I wanted a deeper socket but did not find one at the time.

A piece of cherry cut to size. I did not have any metal of desired size. The knobs are threaded for 1/4in x 20 tpi bolts. Cut the heads of the bolts and drilled 1/4in holes in the cherry. This was a bit of a prototype so I did not glue these in place, just press fit.

Vise_speed_handle_7724.jpg

I now have a mill and a new Shars vise which also has 14mm hex. I now have a deep 6 sided socket to make an improved speed handle.

The short spokes do not interfere and I can spin this with one finger. It is not designed for torque, but works for speed.

Speed_handle_on_vise_7725.jpg

I am woodworker, so I like wood. Did you knurl the cherry in your metal lathe?

I am woodworker, so I like wood. Did you knurl the cherry in your metal lathe?

I am also a woodworker and wood turner so lots of wood boards and turning pieces on hand. I did knurl on the metal lathe. I did this for better grip but once I added the spokes it did not make difference, although I do like the look.

Back