Speed handle for 5" mill vises?

A

Alan H.

Forum Guest
Register Today
There has been some discussion on another thread on speed handles for 5" vises. Thought we should start a thread on that specific topic.

Speed handles for 5" Glacern vises do not seem to be currently commercially available and I and others have been looking for one. The 5" Glacern vices have 5/8" hex drives on them vs. the 3/4" found on 6" vises.

@Ken226 has made a prototype for the 5" vice along with another for a smaller vice as well. I am hoping Ken will post his efforts here for all to see.

Meanwhile if you know of a source or have ideas, let us know.

Watched a YouTube awhile ago and the guy used a socket inserted in a six inch hand wheel I think he used set screws on ground flats or milled ones. Worked pretty good from what I saw. Easy job and not real costly either.

Only other option I currently know of are the spoked speed handles. Some people prefer them more than the style I like/have. Enco used to sell the Gibraltar (MSC house brand) for a good price but unfortunately that's not an option anymore. MSC is currently selling them for just under $27

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/42052845
4205284-21.jpg

There's another brand on ebay also for $33 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QT-5-Vise-Speed-Handle-5-8-Hex-For-5-Vises-NEW-USA-Made-/322433732371
s-l500.png

Another option is to get one of the speed handles for a 6", bore & insert a 5/8" hex, either a socket or your own machined hex.

A few more ideas in this thread. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/speed-handles-for-milling-vises.22345/

IMG_4740.JPG IMG_4742.JPG One of the first projects I made on my CNC a few months ago was a speed handle for the vise. Tormach 4" vise also have a 5/8" hex, some one on eBay was selling a similar one at one time but I don't seem to find it now. Did it first from 6061 for practice and thought I'd go back and make one from CR steel but this aluminium one is holding up fine.
I could pop out a few more if someone wanted one.
EDIT : I just looked at my vice for reference, the 4" I have is smaller hex it is .571"

Last edited:
The handle that came with my Grizzly 4" vise was awkward to use on my Tormach PCNC770 with the enclosure in place. I bought a 3/8" 14mm deep well socket and with a 3" extension and Tee bar, I have a handle that clears the enclosure and that I can spin with one finger. Should I choose to mount the vise crosswise, I can substitute a ratchet for the Tee bar. It works great and had a minimal cost and expenditure of time.

There was a member here (or maybe it was a different forum) that made some speed handles to fit the Glacern 5" vises. I bought one from him and love it. Sad part is that I cannot remember who it was.

Make your own, you have the equipment right?
I am making one for an old bridgeport square 3/4 drive. Only a few minutes to do the body, I've got to make a handle.

There was a member here (or maybe it was a different forum) that made some speed handles to fit the Glacern 5" vises. I bought one from him and love it. Sad part is that I cannot remember who it was.
Terry, was it Will (Darkzero)?

Terry, I knew about this because I had found that thread a few months back and contacted Will to see if he still had some. Unfortunately they are long gone.

Will and Terry, what are the dimensions on those handles? Thickness of material? Centerline of the outboard 5/8" hex to centerline of handle?

Inkedwills wrench_LI.jpg

Back