Speed Contrller For 110v Brushed Motor?

Yeah, I checked ebay when I got home with it and was very pleasantly surprised.
I'll probably hang onto it while I look for a similar small, accurate DP more suited to my interests.
I have a niece who is getting into jewelry making. I am giving her the Covington DP I acquired a while back. Maybe I'll keep this Cameron and see if she outgrows that.
In the meantime, it's a pretty cool desk accessory.

Another possibility. Every corded (110v) variable speed drill has a speed control built in. Usually, the motor gives out so, if you're like me, there are a number of drill carcasses laying about.

Pull the trigger assembly out, making sure to record where the wires go and mount in a suitable enclosure. The pot that is used to vary the speed could be replaced with a conventional pot or a mechanism could be devised to depress the trigger gradually. A cam or large pitch screw device comes to mind.

How slow do you want to go? I'm using a Super-PID speed controller on a Porter Cable router that regulated speed down to 5000 RPM and up to the router's max speed of 28000 while maintaining torque through the RPM range. Here's the website for more info. http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID-Home.htm

Tom S.

I like that a lot, except for the price.

Agreed. It's a bit on the high side but I needed a controller that would maintain motor torque at low RPM. This fit the bill perfectly.

Tom S.

If I had a specific job for this DP that required low RPM torque, I'd gladly pay that too.
But right now this is a desk ornament in search of a mission.

I wonder if the KB Electronics DC controllers boost low RPM torque? They are around $65
I need to hook this thing up to my Ratiotrol unit and see what the torque is like. Just for my own education

If I had a specific job for this DP that required low RPM torque, I'd gladly pay that too.
But right now this is a desk ornament in search of a mission.

I wonder if the KB Electronics DC controllers boost low RPM torque? They are around $65
I need to hook this thing up to my Ratiotrol unit and see what the torque is like. Just for my own education
No open loop controller can give you good low speed control with a series motor (when you use an electric drill *you* are the closed loop control).

Are you saying that the KB and the RatioTrol DC controllers are open loop?

Back