Speed Contrller For 110v Brushed Motor?

AR1911

Active User
Registered
I have this cute little Cameron drill press. It's a nice size for the really small stuff, but the minimum speed is 8500 RPM. I would like to be able to slow it down a bit for some projects. I bought a router speed controller at HF. It worked but only from about mid-dial up. The same controller worked fine on a similar but slower motor.
The Cameron motor has no specs on it other than "120V, AC or DC". Cameron makes a controller but I'm sure i can't afford it.
So how do I find a speed controller which is better matched to my motor?

A 110 v universal (ac/dc) motor can be run on a conventional light dimmer. They can be found for a few bucks at any DIY store. A rheostat can also be used. You didn't specify the motor size (current draw, hp rating etc.). A higher priced option is a variable transformer, commonly called a Variac.

Motor size is unspecified, as noted above. This is a valuable DP, need to keep it original.
I'll try a dimmer switch, thanks.

Motor size is unspecified, as noted above. This is a valuable DP, need to keep it original.
I'll try a dimmer switch, thanks.
Get a speed control for a ceiling fan, they're made for motors.

Good suggestions thanks. I actually have a nice DC controller, but it's as big as the DP.
Ideally I'd like something about the size of a pack of cigarettes that would mount on the base under the motor.
I'll look at dimmers and fan controllers. I may even have some

I have this cute little Cameron drill press. It's a nice size for the really small stuff, but the minimum speed is 8500 RPM. I would like to be able to slow it down a bit for some projects. I bought a router speed controller at HF. It worked but only from about mid-dial up. The same controller worked fine on a similar but slower motor.
The Cameron motor has no specs on it other than "120V, AC or DC". Cameron makes a controller but I'm sure i can't afford it.
So how do I find a speed controller which is better matched to my motor?
That's a series motor. You won't get very good speed control at low speeds without feedback. It's the nature of series motors that the torque, not the speed, is proportional to the applied voltage.

As other's have stated, you want something like a router speed control. The Foredom unit looks nice.

I have the Dumore sensitive drill which is smaller and even faster than your Cameron since it's direct-drive. I've tried a Dremel speed controller with it and what you will find is that the drill will have little power at slower speeds.

These sensitive drill presses are just made to turn tiny bits really fast with no run out. If you have no use for this you can always sell it on Ebay as they go for quite a bit of money even used.

Back