Southbend 9 x 48 - How worn is too worn?

Me too, but I'm just a little intrigued as he states that this is just an accent color, guess we'll have to wait for the surprise.

20pts for picking up on the surprise! I thought the whole lathe might look a little gaudy that way, plus I like lighter colors in the shop. Grease shows on everything, but dust only shows on dark colors, makes the shop feel a lot cleaner.

In the Home Shop, "too worn" is defined as the point where: available time, the willingness to apply labor, skill, needed tools and $ are in too short a supply.

In the Home Shop, "too worn" is defined as the point where: available time, the willingness to apply labor, skill, needed tools and $ are in too short a supply.

Very good point! Apart from he impossible I think that is very accurate. Funny thing is, when i wrote that, I was nearly bankrupt in ALL of those categories, but am currently no more or less so. Again, apart from the impossible, I think we find/make what we need when in deficit (time/money/knowledge etc...). One of the magical parts of being alive I guess.

You seem to think allot like i do. If it makes you happy in some way, and doesn't destroy you in some other, GO FOR IT! When do we get to see some pictures of your machine, or better yet, your machine AND some of its many projects?

Look what I found today.

41c7c9613413768a11616e17cb390502.jpg

Looks like it was born October 12th, 1945, and spent its whole life here in Tulsa, OK.

Let me tell you about old Grizzly too... I ordered this today about 10am, a Friday, and it was here by 3pm. I'm impressed.

Last edited:
So the dealer listed on the serial number card, still has an active address listed with several Industry listings, and I drove over to see if they were still around. Sadly there is a new company there, but still selling industrial machines?? I checked into them, been around since 1992, I wonder if there is any relation to the original tenant. Maybe I'll stop in next week, they have 3000sq/ft of shiny new milling machines and lathes... maybe that's a bad idea.

I got the gear inlays all done. Had to fab (caveman fab) some new arbors to fit them on my polishing machine (cheap drill in a vise). I'll post some more pics of those later tonight.

My little test re-using Citristrip waste went amazing. So much so that the paint fell off before I could get back to video it. I did grab a few seconds of me scraping (more like lifting) off what looks like rubber sheets. Will get the rest of those videos put together later too.

I had 2 shafts in the gearbox that were too wasted to even try to use, the gears had so much play you could hear them clanking around just moving it to a different spot on the bench. Good news is I found a brand spanking new, never used, cone gear shaft for $35.00! Seems like those internal gearbox pieces must either live forever, or get neglected beyond the point of re-sale because its the first one I've seen. He's looking to see what else he has for my lathe, may have hit the jackpot on this one.

I did spend some time trying to mill the channel iron the bed was mounted on. It's milling OK, but they are so trashed I don't think they are worth working on. There is almost .125" of cup in both of them.
45c8d3f0f64a5bd4e5a8d20bfdfe703d.jpg

On with the course corrections! I still have the lip on the tray to contend with, the tumbler levers and the lip don't get along unless the lathe has at least 1.5" risers under it, so what's a hobby machinist to do? Make stuff!! I still don't know of a place to get scrap around here, and good iron that size is $$$$ off the shelf, so what's left? I have some precision ground low-carbon 3/8 flat stock that's wide enough, but its not thick enough. I have some pillow stuffing, but I don't think it's rated for this kind of weight. I do have something I've been wanting to try though, and I think I may have found my excuse! I dragged my wife out one weekend a few months back to go problem solving, and thought I found a solution. I went and picked up the stuff today (1 hour total shopping time), and did a trial run, and it looks like a winner!
9df46149aa9f93df5478d04ebe35eaa2.jpg
0fa5bbdf270b913da36af9ad209f9890.jpg

Epoxy granite using only cheap (<$1/lb finished weight) & readily available local resources (national chains, non-boutique, non-industrial). Not the sort of thing that generates 300 pages of forum fodder, and most certainly not the sort of thing you want to go into production with, but for us... Hobbyists... Maybe? I haven't actually completed a mould yet, but I thought I'd bring you all along for the journey, pass or fail, I'll start a new thread later, and post the link here.

Re: 1946 Southbend 9" Model A Restoration

Got my new main drive shaft assy. in yesterday (shaft/keys/original felt/bushing/nut).

Which would you choose?
47e0e160b36b2cc8d459ab9429119785.jpg
a05b91302c8b6942d46dcafc762b5063.jpg
3bc39441cc31a3ef3c7b06a9ea6b922a.jpg

Question for you South Bend Lathe gurus'. The key-way on the outboard side of the shaft is in a different position on the new one. This is where the gear that engages the two on the banjo bracket mounts. Is this just a minor difference between mfg. years? Is it going to create problems if the gear-teeth mounted on the new one don't align with the compound gear on the inboard side, the same way they did on the old one?

Also, (looks like this was lost with the hiccup too) Come checkout the Epoxy Granite Thread, where I'll painfully document how I make THIS set of EG castings.

Epoxy Granite (EG) The cheap and easy way! I hope.

Visually the one on the bottom looks better but I would mic them out and maybe test fit them to see which one fits better. I can't see how where the key-way is would make any difference. It just locates the gear and keeps it from spinning on the shaft, it's not like this is a timed gear assembly.

Visually the one on the bottom looks better but I would mic them out and maybe test fit them to see which one fits better. I can't see how where the key-way is would make any difference. It just locates the gear and keeps it from spinning on the shaft, it's not like this is a timed gear assembly.

Oh it fits! First thing I did LOL. It's not all loose and clanked either. The spinning gears have no play. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the top one is baaaad. I just bought the bottom one (NOS - never used), and that answers my gearig question there. Don't quite have the mechanics of the gearbox all worked out in my head yet, figured better safe than sorry. Looks like in one they cut the key with the felt slot, and the other they cut both keys together. Thanks Greg!

Look what I found today.

41c7c9613413768a11616e17cb390502.jpg

Looks like it was born October 12th, 1945, and spent its whole life here in Tulsa, OK....

Hi Taz, Just curious, is the age of a South Bend based on the Order Date or the Shipping Date?

Looks like yours was conceived in Oct '45 but wasn't born until Feb '46 !

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Hi Taz, Just curious, is the age of a South Bend based on the Order Date or the Shipping Date?

Looks like yours was conceived in Oct '45 but wasn't born until Feb '46 !

Regards, RossG
radial1951

I noticed that too. Well if we're really going to ask the question, was it born when the dealer got it, or when THEY sold it? I'm going with the MFG date for that reason :). It's the only fixed point.

Last edited:
Back