Southbend 9 x 48 - How worn is too worn?

As a side note, I'm doing this entire restoration in an apartment (has a separated garage under someone else's apartment). I have to get creative how I do things sometimes. I use Citristrip in my apartment for the smaller items. It really does smell delicious, and though it still requires chemical resistant gloves, and a little care, it's non-toxic. I let the parts sit in a big plastic tub all day, and in the evening the stuff just falls off. Wife loves it. It sits in the laundry room, on the dryer, till its hard (few days), then disposal is a piece of cake.

Is that the result of just using Citristrip and then washing down?

Made a little test without degreasing. Video'd the results http://youtu.be/obHWrhNYoPs There wasn't too much grease on this particular part, but it had the thickest layers of paint, and was most un-worn by far. I just spray with water in the end and wipe the residue off, I'll record the rest tomorrow, but this should give you a pretty good idea.

Now that's pretty cool, never seen that one done before, Nice touch.

Thanks! There was a pretty big deformity beneath that left the iron pretty ugly, and I don't want paint chips coming off my lathe, just metal ones! So a little stainless and voila. Still have some edges to trim up, and a few places that need a little massaging, but I think it will do the trick.

I die a little inside every time I see it.

Before
f9d730b522c106ed69698f04dcbc5dbf.jpg
0f661e2f45abcfd45189bb6a3f9af72c.jpg
d39225bd7fbdae917a6195b17fb1b2b3.jpg

Many of the gears were like this, although this was the worst. The gears in the gearbox levers. I wasn't sure if they were worth saving at first, but at least I should stop them from damaging other parts. After the fact, they may actually be OK.
e5db7ac2549765c37c888d711553faa5.jpg
f74fcffdc8eea417c15adadf445e53ea.jpg
b7505a021bd978d9866029ab267f4f99.jpg

They are definitely missing their proper shape, but not as bad as I thought.

Let the coloring begin!
02af5459a8b5986238db25ff4ec7f175.jpg
4256ed37102b2c62dd478ac2a0d1c283.jpg

The canvas.
9063a15108803374b723d1bdf0868685.jpg

The high tech, cutting edge, rocket scientist/brain surgeon, application method.
8888cc035d111b2310db60bb655f9292.jpg

Lots of bubbles to poke. Takes a minute to get them leveled right too.
0432f25f060900940a532246872da1e8.jpg
99d90ec8144bb12f46a721cf3b39e57d.jpg

And after 10 minutes of bubble patrol, whack-a-mole style.
3b247b4e2cd6ee9141ba6398d7d9fc76.jpg

It's going to be one cool accent color. Gotta prep the big areas before I can start the main color though. Enter "grown up play dough".
a9234b5fb0b102297d35eccc5628fa48.jpg

Made a little test without degreasing. Video'd the results http://youtu.be/obHWrhNYoPs There wasn't too much grease on this particular part, but it had the thickest layers of paint, and was most un-worn by far. I just spray with water in the end and wipe the residue off, I'll record the rest tomorrow, but this should give you a pretty good idea.
Hi Chad

Thanks for the YouTube Vid. Excellent demo. Very impressed with the Citristrip. After you wipe the residue off, do you need to wash down with hot water and detergent? Do you need to clean/degrease again before painting? Thanks again.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

Looking good Chad! I gotta admit I can't wait to see how the lathe looks completed with that color. Should be awesome! :)

I gotta admit I can't wait to see how the lathe looks completed with that color. Should be awesome! :)

Me too, but I'm just a little intrigued as he states that this is just an accent color, guess we'll have to wait for the surprise.

Hi Chad

Thanks for the YouTube Vid. Excellent demo. Very impressed with the Citristrip. After you wipe the residue off, do you need to wash down with hot water and detergent? Do you need to clean/degrease again before painting? Thanks again.

Regards, RossG
radial1951

First, my disclaimer... I am not, nor have I ever been a painter of any kind. I can just do a lot more, for a lot less, if I learn to do things myself. Plus, it's a hell of a lot of fun! So take it with a grain of salt.

Before a complete repaint like this, I always wash in a good detergent, then wipe with acetone. Nothing fancy. I haven't washed any of the big stuff yet though. I just wipe the stripper off, mist water over it, and wipe with a clean rag. It'll sit like that till its time to paint. Before i paint ill actually wash it. As far as detergents, I like TSP because its in powder form, comes in big and small packages, smells like nothing, and can be found at least 20 places in a city you never thought to look for it (not sure about the UK) I always keep some in my house, good for lots of stuff.

EDIT: I took more video the next day, after re-applying day old stuff. This morning I took everything I scraped off of the two other parts of the stand, and slapped it on portion of the 3rd part. It's still wet, I thought that would be a good little test. I have some high strength, impotence causing, tear maker I applied next to it. I have no idea how they'll compare.

Last edited:
Back