Southbend 9 x 48 - How worn is too worn?

Re: 1946 Southbend 9" Model A Restoration

Broken scooter + 3 old computer chassis = free brushless DC power source for South Bend Lathe!

Operation free power is confirmed, the robot parts box wins again!

Some time ago I posted in this thread about something I found in my robot parts box, I don't know if everyone realized it was a 1/2-1hp brushless DC motor. It came out of a broken electric scooter I picked up some years ago. I thought, if I can make this thing turn for $0.00 or less, I'm going to use it! Few problems, I had no idea how the ESC worked, no idea how much power it really had, and it looked like it was a 36-48v/40a motor, which is a weird combo to find a free power supply for.

Well, meet the replacement for the monstrous horizontal drive motor mount that took her first, and very successful spin tonight! Courtesy of 3 old computer power supplies, a few parts from a broken scooter, and a little solder.

0e3c1e1509843f86100381295965f042.jpg

Couple of really cool things. Turns out the ESC actually has an electric brake, an emergency cutoff switch, and of course variable speed along with reversing and status light controls all housed in a 1"x2"x3" box. This may be my favorite upgrade yet!

OK, now I can continue with my EG thread.

Back