Southbend 9" Information Needed

@HiCap239

That's probably the right call with that SouthBend discussed above. If those defects are on the surface, what else is hiding in the gear-box and carriage?
Not that it could not be fixed up, but it sounds like it would be a bigger project that the Enco you have now.

Best of luck with the Logan, the circumstances around it sounds much better.
Please let us know how it goes.
-brino

Yea, I noticed the compound too, not sure what caused that but it does look scary. What confuses me is if you picture the motor drive in the correct position the 3 cone pully's would not line up correctly. I have not seen one of these in person and I have not looked online to see how they come apart. It would have to come apart and be rotated 180 degrees on the countershaft for the 3 pully cones on the rear to correctly match up to the lathe. Then the linkage could be hooked up correctly. Then there is the email that he states that the motor only ones forward, no reverse. I might just let the auction end and contact him after to see if I can come up and look at it and make an offer. It makes me think the previous owner got it in parts and had no idea of how to put it back together. The seller has been good and emailed me a lot of pictures of it and has answered my questions. I am still leery and would rather inspect in in person before I buy.
The cones are in the correct orientation for the lathe. the cone on the motor drive can be reversed easily so that's what the user did.
I would ask why he reversed the assembly (for curiosity).
About the head bolts missing. I'm not sure they are. That head may have the socket bolts. Not sure of the age. Later models had sockets. Mine did not.

Ask if all the gear have their teeth or are any missing teeth.
ask if anything is siezed up.

Ways can be shinny and smooth in photos and still be worn so badly you won't be able to make decent parts without a lot of aggravation. Never hurts to take along a straight edge and put it on the ways to see how much gap there is near the headstock.

Glenn

Back