South bend precision a

I don't like it. I think it is hiding something. Who paints handles, and where the tool post goes.
The gear box has the rods painted, which means he painted the felts.
This guy is hiding something.

Was easier for him to spray paint everything instead of taping or taking apart. Can see overspray by carriage

Look at it this way every thing new or old , car, truck,plane, house, boat whatever Everything needs something.
If it does have an issue it looks like a complete unit that has most if not all the right peices...it would be the one you want.
Parts are available and so is a ton of support experience.
Pay him his 2500.00 but you need all the tooling you can get from him as part of
the deal.

It's a 10k. Very sloppy spray can overhaul. Looking at the compound, I don't see any chuck crash gouges, so that would most likely exclude being from a school. Depending on the tooling and the shape of the ways, it could be worth the $2,500. This lathe definitely warrants a closer look. Pictures of the serial number (to date the lathe), the included tooling and close-ups of the ways will aid in setting a value.

One thing that does bother me, is it looks like someone took a file to the face of the prisms. If that is so, then this lathe is worth close to zero (only to be parted out).

The problem I see is look at all the options....I have been in the repair/rebuild/service side for 30 odd years and I can't see anything that concerns me about the ways.
What I do see is optional cast aluminum belt guards, shifters and electric switch and bracket, quick change gear box, full function apron, steady rest, taper attachment, cabinet and I haven't really had a chance to look. Ways can be ground, milled, scrapped but try and find and afford all those accessories and then CORRECTLY fit them to the machine.

It's a 10k. Very sloppy spray can overhaul. Looking at the compound, I don't see any chuck crash gouges, so that would most likely exclude being from a school. Depending on the tooling and the shape of the ways, it could be worth the $2,500. This lathe definitely warrants a closer look. Pictures of the serial number (to date the lathe), the included tooling and close-ups of the ways will aid in setting a value.

One thing that does bother me, is it looks like someone took a file to the face of the prisms. If that is so, then this lathe is worth close to zero (only to be parted out).
Not sure how you see the the filing? I can't see that detail with the quality of the pic.
Also serial #'s mean nothing in value. Dating means nothing to value.

Let me put it too you this way about the paint. Paint is like glue, since he painted over all the screws, and nuts, and handles, you will have a tough time loosening or tightening them for adjustment. That paint is adding to your work load. So make sure you forget the firm price and offer him less (AFTER BRINGING A MACHINIST WITH YOU TO LOOK OVER THE MACHINE).
Remove the cross slide and look it over from the bottom, make sure it's not cracked.
That gear box (I mentioned earlier) already tells me you are going to have to remove it and change felts, as the paint ruined them.
He ruined the carriage felts(not a big deal), but the screws are painted over. It's a hot mess.

It might be a good machine.. But you have a ton of work in front of you.. And without the paint, it was going to be easier.
Since it looks like he just painted over everything, that paint will be peeling off the castings.. There was probably a lot of oil soaked into the casting, so the paint job is just cosmetic for NOW, not later.

If the steady, taper , follow are all in good shape, that's good stuff, and expensive. Does it have the collet system, a closer?

Back