South bend precision a

Swo1966

Registered
Registered
I just looked at this lathe, 3jaw, 4jaw, aloris qctp, tapering attachment, some assorted cutters, steady rest , asking 2500.00
Is this a fair deal looks to be in decent shape
Thanks
First post
Shands

I just looked at this lathe, 3jaw, 4jaw, aloris qctp, tapering attachment, some assorted cutters, steady rest , asking 2500.00
Is this a fair deal looks to be in decent shape
Thanks
First post
Shands
??? pics, condition?

The Aloris, taper attachment and steady rest are worth at least half that. It might not be a steal but not a bad deal, lol Anyway. I don't think it's a ripoff, provided it's in good condition.
Yes, Pictures Please!

This is the only picture I have, it also had a nice jacobs chuck and looks To be in operational condition

thanks
SWO1966

It looks like it's had a "rattle can rebuild" - see all the bits that should be bare metal (bolt heads, shaft ends, handles) but are painted. It doesn't necessarily preclude against buying it or its valuation, but it does serve as a warning about reading too much into its condition. I'd be leery of it for that price, though at face value it's not bad, just wary about what that paint might be hiding.

Be very leery of this. The paint job could be hiding a world of sin. It looks to be a 9A. That price is very top end here in SoCal. Go and spend some time going over everything. Way wear is big. That will tell you how much it has been used. That picture did not show nearly enough detail.

Make sure to run it if humanly possible. If everything checks out try to negotiate down. Ultimately it is up to you if you are happy with the price you pay. Not us.

Cutting oil is my blood.

This would be my first lathe purchase
He says price is firm
He did run it
Ways at headstock did have some wear with scraping not showing

Thanks for advice

That thick heavy paint on everything including parts that don't normally get paint raises a big yellow flag for me. It might be a guy that just likes to paint and got carried away, not really knowing what was supposed to have paint and what does not.
OR--- it could be an attempt to hide stuff. Rust, cracks, bond-o or worse.

Taper attachments and a steady rest definitely add to the value. I see them sell pretty regularly for $750 and $350.

If it is still under power, I would want to have it take a pass or two along an 18 to 20" piece. Cheap black iron pipe is good enough. Make a fairly heavy pass to evaluate torque. Use back gear and different speeds. Also try different feed rates to make sure the gearbox is OK. Put it High/High and let it run a good 5 to 10 minutes, then feel the bearing housings for any warmth. Listen for any odd sounds and put your hand on the headstock to feel it run. Then take a final light pass and check your stock for deviations. Taper one way or another isn't all that important as it can be adjusted out. But undulations in diameter along the length could mean wear.

See if you can find out when the apron and headstock were last serviced.

Try to picture it dirty, oily and rusty and see if it still has as much "curb appeal". If it passes all the tests within reason and it includes the stand, then it probably is a reasonable price. Prices are highly regional, so in part it will depend on how far you have to go to get it and how many are in the population near you.

The upper great plains where I live is a machinery desert so it would easily sell for $2500 here, IF it checks out.

Best of luck and let us know how you come out.

Take the compound off and check the T-nut compound hold down slots. Since it is mounted straight on, my bet is that they are broken. Ways show a fair amount of wear. Auction paint job. My bet is that it is a used High School lathe that has seen better days.

Back