South Bend Heavy 10... to rebuild or not to rebuild

Restore or part out

• Ground Control to Major Tom Put your Helmet ON!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's already in pieces... box it up and sell it.

• I'll take items____ _____ and _____

• Total voters
On another note I talked with the guy I got it from yesterday. He said the reason he 'Trashed' it was the chip tray gave out and he didn't want to mess with it.
I guess that explains why it only had 6 drawers and no table/supports or legs. I've seen one photo on the net of a 6 drawers cabinet... but only one.

Nothing ventured nothing gained, it would only be worth it if you use it or sell it. Do nothing get nothing scrap is what you were giving. I'd like a bigger lathe myself I only wish one were offered for free . But for now my 11" Logan will do more then I will need. Like the others said piece it out , they want more for taper attachments then the lathe complete is worth.

Kind of a downside to the rise of Ebay- I wish more people sold whole lathes instead of parting them out so often. It's great if your lathe needs a part, not so great if you want to buy a lathe. Of course it's better to buy in person rather than at a distance, and shipping isn't cheap.
MS

Parts are good , on mine the half nut handle was broke , I ordered one on eBay the guy said it is for a heavy 10 but it turned out to be for a 13/14.5/16 . So I made something that works
Any one need a half nut handle , cam , pin , for a larger SB lathe
A lot of parts on SB lathes were hand drilled for taper pins so u need the whole assembly

My one came in bits in cardboard boxes also and is my pride and joy it's a little work but sure worth it
Don't scrap but if you do let me know as always looking for spare parts and if you need help on rebuilding I have all original service sheets and can copy

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well no one has said it's junk, or complained about the ways being trashed so it seems the sensible thing to do is continue with the recovery and figure out if I have all the pieces pieces or not.
Stay tuned.

Finely took hammer and nail punch to the threaded sleeve holding the gear change plunger of the gear box in.
What a pain. It's trash and the plungers still stuck...
I see a .125" or so hole I imagine held a split ring to pull on.
Or is it just a change in my med....iCal perceptions I see.
Plunger still won't budge. Any ideas?
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipM9BwK0ipTt7jTFagx-TA33pUECLmXM5ReZNVls
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipOLQUufASzVJvKMviUXD0O54NknSbcv0iMsx-Jk
(I know.. A two speed gearbox)

On a different note the first 40" of the bed are standing up in the reverse electrolysis bath... But I dumped the mole asses out before seeing the last two drawers still in the bed of the truck. RE for them too now I guess.

Still have the motor and counter shaft to start on. Hope it'll fit in my barrel.
I'll post some pic's in a day or so.

Last edited:
Well I finally got the thumb plunger to rotate and eventually slide up and down... but it still won't clear the hole in the casting to allow a gear change.
Suggestions welcome.

https://goo.gl/photos/Xm4UjLcy6H8LWcZ37

Well I finally figured it out. It took close study and once again taking photos helped.
Here's the link to the first of a series leading up to the new found freedom.

I could see the movement in the receiver was only about half of what was needed which told me something was being jammed somewhere.

While taking the pics I saw the ridge of burrs and grabbed my points file.
What a feeling when it came free!

Last edited:
Couldn't get your links to pics to work 404 error , I have taken pictures with this iPad and found problems with parts I couldn't see by eye. Can you not upload pics to this site ?.

Back